Thread: Canvas grain? Does it affect brushes?

Canvas grain? Does it affect brushes?

Hi, I saw a youtube video. He used watercolor and got with canvas grain nice texture on his water color layer. Which I find really confusing. i turned my roughness upp to 100% and none of my brushes are affected? Is this canvas grain only cosmetic? or how did he do that? is there a button? (Artrage 6)

Edit: cant even upload a video...
    Last edited by Wurzeltopf; 09-15-2020 at 01:15 PM.

Yes it is. Play with the canvas texture size and roughness settings. Play with different canvases. Plus there might be a problem with the layer settings. Open the menu on the layer with the right mouse button, select "edit layer texture". Here you have a choice: either edit the texture properties for each layer separately (in this case, specifically for the selected layer), or select the "use canvas texture" checkbox at the very top and make settings in the canvas properties settings. In this case, the settings will apply to those layers where the "use canvas texture" checkbox is checked.
    Last edited by luministdream; 09-15-2020 at 09:53 PM.

Hi Wurzeltopf, your question is quiet a long time ago.But I`ve searching for the same problem and find nothing. no answers at all. Do you have getting some now? (do you german, me too)

Hello Deckerstar and welcome to the ArtRage forums
    In edition to what Luministdream posted above, I would also add that the;
    Text tool, Glitter, Pencil (when in Precise mode), Sticker Spray, Custom Brush (it has it’s own internal settings for grain textures), and Ink Pen tools will not interact directly with the Canvas texture.

If you could perhaps give some more details as to which tools you are trying on which canvas textures, that might help narrow down any problems you are having.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram

There are two YouTube videos by member "Someonesane" which show how to use canvas textures with watercolours. It's Artrage4 but it still applies to more recent versions including ArtRage Vitae.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8bb-M_wgcc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aa4-NT2By8

(Mark answered just as I was posting)
    June.

Oh God of homeless things, look down
    And try to ease the way
    Of all the little weary paws
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

http://enug66.deviantart.com/gallery/

[My setup: hp 15in laptop,11th Gen Intel Core i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz 2.70 GHz, 8.00 GB RAM, 24in Acer 2nd monitor, Huion Kamvas 20 Pro display tablet, Windows 11, ArtRage Vitae.
    My painting real-estate is extended across three monitors.]

Quote Originally Posted by Enug View Post
    (Mark answered just as I was posting)
    Don't you just hate it when that happens on forums! Good to see you again June
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    On Instagram

Thanks for the quick responses. My problem: with my notebook and Bamboo everything is super structure, etc. win 10 artrage studio 3 and now art rage 6 latest version. Now with my wacom mobile studio 16 pro and a 4k resolution nothing can be seen anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Deckerstar View Post
    Thanks for the quick responses. My problem: with my notebook and Bamboo everything is super structure, etc. win 10 artrage studio 3 and now art rage 6 latest version. Now with my wacom mobile studio 16 pro and a 4k resolution nothing can be seen anymore.
    Hello again Dackerstar,
    I’m now a little less sure as to what exactly your issue might be? Sorry!
    If you would prefer posting in German, feel free to do so and us non German speakers can always reach for Google Translate!

Hallo nochmal Dackerstar,
    Ich bin mir jetzt etwas unsicherer, was genau dein Problem sein könnte? Tut mir leid!
    Wenn Sie es vorziehen, auf Deutsch zu posten, können Sie dies gerne tun und wir Nicht-Deutschsprachigen können immer nach Google Translate greifen!
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    On Instagram