Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Just some Penguins... And other animals...

Quote Originally Posted by limey-g View Post
    A lovely water colour Mark it certainly gives the effect of the bird standing in somewhat steamy water.
    Thank you Geoff Yes, in my mind I saw it as morning with a thin low mist rising...
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by D Akey View Post
    Interesting take on the viewpoint angle of the tail region which appears to be looking at it from 3/4 behind when it's more of a straight profile in the front. Am I reading that right? Is that a sort of Audubon illustration thing for cataloging the appearance of birds in a scientific way to save having to do several pics of the bird from different angles ?...
    Yes, absolutely, spot on Mr D that’s exactly what I was trying for!
    Is what I want to say!
    But actually, er yes, I see what you mean. I may have fumbled the ball a bit on that!
    Spent too much time wrestling with feathers and lost sight of it!
    I think it’s that I haven’t really got the values or something quite right on the neck in order to show the twist or roundness of it falling away from you in the lower part of it relative to the body
    Also not helped by those long black feathers coming too far out to the side, for a rear ¾ view, which is also tending to flatten out that part and make it seem more side on than it should be...
    Thanks for the feedback there Mr D, your observations are always valued

On the subject of those old school scientific fauna & flora illustrations though, I have to confess I do have a bit of a soft spot for them!
    So maybe something in my subconscious was trying to exert itself!
    And as for Mr Audubon illustrations they are just stunning, and the size of them!
    Although painting birds is somewhat new for me, I have long wanted to see his work in the flesh someday for a long time now.
    Have you ever been fortunate enough to have seen his originals?
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    On Instagram

Hahaha. No, Mark, I haven't see the originals but I have one of those oversized art books with plenty of his birds exclusively. They would really be informative to see the originals, I agree. I think even medical illustrators may have taken a page or two from how he painted -- at least the old school ones.

When I was in junior college trying to figure out a career after my military stint, I was in the audio visual lab where they had some of the most vivid, wildly interesting illustrations of amoebas and parameciums and other microscopic creatures, and I dare say I was blown away at how gorgeous that (those) illustrators managed to make that world. All pre-desktop days, so those images were illuminated and totally Art (capital A). I think I was probably more interested in the art than anatomy and immediately dropped science in favor of art classes. Who knows where inspiration will hit.

I didn't really get into Audubon until I found his big book on a shelf one day. I wonder if I would have gotten into birds as subjects had I found it as a young student. I love birds, especially the tropical ones with all that spectacular plumage.
    Your animal stuff is great. Keep going. Very pleased you have finally opted to start showing. It's a real pleasure.

"Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Saddle Billed Stork

Just the head and neck this time.
    I was doing some thumbnail “notes” for painting the whole bird but somehow this one just took over and became the finished painting.
    Principle tools were the usual suspects; Watercolour brush, Custom Brush and Knife.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Saddle Billed Stork-AR.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	50.5 KB 
ID:	101552
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    On Instagram

Annother beauty from you Mark. Funny how they 'take over'.
    June.

Oh God of homeless things, look down
    And try to ease the way
    Of all the little weary paws
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

http://enug66.deviantart.com/gallery/

[My setup: hp 15in laptop,11th Gen Intel Core i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz 2.70 GHz, 8.00 GB RAM, 24in Acer 2nd monitor, Huion Kamvas 20 Pro display tablet, Windows 11, ArtRage Vitae.
    My painting real-estate is extended across three monitors.]

Nice work, these images remind me of information books like dictionary or encyclopedia. The type of images you see in those type of books when you look up the word of the animal and they have a picture there as an example of what they look like.
    I have a personally designed artwork gallery website at: www.stephenlopiano.com
    There is one section full of pages there under the Digital Artwork category that is devoted entirely to paintings I have created with Art Rage.

Thank you; June, Stephen, Kenmo for your kind words
    @Stephen;
    Yes, it’s true, I do have a soft spot for those old scientific textbook illustrations.
    And inevitably I suppose that liking percolates through into my own work!
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    On Instagram

Hayacinth Macaws

Thought it about time I posted something else to this thread again.
    Finished this one this past weekend.
    My usual tools used, with the addition this time of the Oil brush for some bits. Was trying to replicate more opaque water based media like Gouache with it.
    Printed size 30cm².
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hayacinth_Macaws.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	140.9 KB 
ID:	101939
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    On Instagram

So beautiful Mark - takes my breath away!
    June.

Oh God of homeless things, look down
    And try to ease the way
    Of all the little weary paws
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

http://enug66.deviantart.com/gallery/

[My setup: hp 15in laptop,11th Gen Intel Core i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz 2.70 GHz, 8.00 GB RAM, 24in Acer 2nd monitor, Huion Kamvas 20 Pro display tablet, Windows 11, ArtRage Vitae.
    My painting real-estate is extended across three monitors.]