Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just some Penguins... And other animals...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Just some Penguins... And other animals...

Something topical for this time of year, as it’s around now all the chicks will be hatched.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Penguins.jpg 
Views:	360 
Size:	86.2 KB 
ID:	99667
    Last edited by markw; 10-29-2020 at 06:37 AM.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram

Lovely to see something from you Mark. The penguins are just beautiful - looks like watercolour - is it? If so you will have to give me some tips. As you probably know I'm struggling with that tool. Might help if I knew something about wc in the real world.
    June.

Oh God of homeless things, look down
    And try to ease the way
    Of all the little weary paws
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

http://enug66.deviantart.com/gallery/

[My setup: hp 15in laptop,11th Gen Intel Core i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz 2.70 GHz, 8.00 GB RAM, 24in Acer 2nd monitor, Huion Kamvas 20 Pro display tablet, Windows 11, ArtRage Vitae.
    My painting real-estate is extended across three monitors.]

Fantastic Painting very well done
    Visit my website here

Super design MarkW! Also love the charm of the scene. Looks like you've got a fine handle on the watercolor feature as well. I love the tooth giving it a real feel. And how the colors play over in glazes. Looks like it's had some TLC as well as a really good artistic hand working it.

Keep up the great work!

"Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Thank’s for the kind words every one
    I realised recently that I’ve been hanging around these forums for nearly 10 years now and started using AR back in v2 but I’ve never shared any of what I’ve done with AR with you good folks.
    That combined with June’s gentle prodding, and I thought I might post some more odds and ends here.

As for any watercolour tips I may have June, lets see…
    I always have one or more layers at the top of the layer stack set to Overlay blend mode. These layers will be images, B&W or colour, of real textures like painted surfaces, stone, sand, water or me just splattering AR paint around, but it all adds more texture and life to the underlying paint layers. (And play with the layer opacity’s too!)
    Don’t rely on the watercolour brush to do it all. I’m always using the Knife Tool to give hard and soft edges to the brush strokes.
    One of my favourite sets of watercolour blenders for doing this were kindly donated to the AR community by user screenpainter in his post; So Sumi why don’t you? You can find them here: https://forums.artrage.com/showthrea...896#post375896
    In fact feel free to use any tool you like while painting if it gives the effect or look you want!
    Also experiment with different canvas textures for different layers this will also greatly vary how a brush stroke can look.

But if you really want specific tutorials on replicating a watercolour paint look in AR then I don’t think you can do better than the advice and tips given by users Steve B & Someonesane;
    Steve B videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/cloudof...sort=da&view=0
    Someonesane: https://www.artrage.com/into-the-sta...y-someonesane/

And now an old watercolour from 2016 of a cat for you June, well a panther actually.

Name:	Panther.jpg 
Views:	372 
Size:	147.7 KB 
ID:	99689
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    On Instagram

Thank you Mark for taking the time to respond with your WC suggestions. I have collected quite a few textures and now I'm going over them to see which work best also which brush settings. I already have a folder of favourite blenders. In the past I have looked at the tutorials you suggest - I will have to go thru them again.

As for your 'cat' you knew I would just love it!
    June.

And try to ease the way
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

[My setup: hp 15in laptop,11th Gen Intel Core i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz 2.70 GHz, 8.00 GB RAM, 24in Acer 2nd monitor, Huion Kamvas 20 Pro display tablet, Windows 11, ArtRage Vitae.

Quote Originally Posted by markw View Post
    Thank’s for the kind words every one
    I realised recently that I’ve been hanging around these forums for nearly 10 years now and started using AR back in v2 but I’ve never shared any of what I’ve done with AR with you good folks.
    That combined with June’s gentle prodding, and I thought I might post some more odds and ends here.

As for any watercolour tips I may have June, lets see…
    I always have one or more layers at the top of the layer stack set to Overlay blend mode. These layers will be images, B&W or colour, of real textures like painted surfaces, stone, sand, water or me just splattering AR paint around, but it all adds more texture and life to the underlying paint layers. (And play with the layer opacity’s too!)
    Don’t rely on the watercolour brush to do it all. I’m always using the Knife Tool to give hard and soft edges to the brush strokes.
    One of my favourite sets of watercolour blenders for doing this were kindly donated to the AR community by user screenpainter in his post; So Sumi why don’t you? You can find them here: https://forums.artrage.com/showthrea...896#post375896
    In fact feel free to use any tool you like while painting if it gives the effect or look you want!
    Also experiment with different canvas textures for different layers this will also greatly vary how a brush stroke can look.

But if you really want specific tutorials on replicating a watercolour paint look in AR then I don’t think you can do better than the advice and tips given by users Steve B & Someonesane;
    Steve B videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/cloudof...sort=da&view=0
    Someonesane: https://www.artrage.com/into-the-sta...y-someonesane/

And now an old watercolour from 2016 of a cat for you June, well a panther actually.

Name:	Panther.jpg 
Views:	372 
Size:	147.7 KB 
ID:	99689
    Wow, I love animals, I even wrote work presented for my examination of my Social-Work-Diploma about the psycho-social meaning of animals and pets in our western societies.
    And above a recognice "La Panthère".

Lovely watercolour! I am studying to achieve such closeness but it's so tricky!

Since 1974 mixing cachaça, sugar and ice to the lemons life gives to me.

Just beautiful Mark. Such fine detail - do you work on a large size canvas?
    June.

And try to ease the way
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

Thank you for the kind comment odemilson

@ June;
    Large-ish I suppose Typically my canvases are around 3508px x 4961px.
    Much bigger than that and I find I start to get more brush lag than I can live with on my system when using some tools at larger sizes.
    I always setup paintings with the assumption of printing them and this size will give an excellent A3 print but can also be pushed to print somewhat larger too if needed without compromising perceived quality too much, as larger pictures are typically viewed from further away.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    On Instagram