Thread: Unable to move canvas from main display to second screen

Unable to move canvas from main display to second screen

This seems to have arisen out of nowhere, but Im sure Ive changed something!!

I can't drag my canvas from my iMac (M1) to my Viewsonic VX3211-4K. All the tool panels etc can be dragged as normal. iMac is set as Main Display and Viewsonic as Extended display. I have not upgraded MacOs, I have restarted twice. Other software such as Rebelle, Affinity apps are all working normally.

It's a mystery - at least to me!

Any ideas welcome - please.

Brett
    Kia whakatōmuri te haere whakamua (“I walk backwards into the future with my eyes fixed on my past”).

Tech stuff: 24" iMac M1: Wacom Intuos Pro L: iPad Pro 12.9"

I acknowledge your post Brett but as I'm on Windows I can't help. As you can see below I have a display tablet which also acts as a monitor with my laptop and a small TV I use as a monitor. I haven't experienced this myself and as you can drag the tools but not the canvas that sounds odd. Mark is on a Mac I believe so I am confident he will help when his side of the world joins us.
    June.

Oh God of homeless things, look down
    And try to ease the way
    Of all the little weary paws
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

http://enug66.deviantart.com/gallery/

[My setup: hp 15in laptop,11th Gen Intel Core i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz 2.70 GHz, 8.00 GB RAM, 24in Acer 2nd monitor, Huion Kamvas 20 Pro display tablet, Windows 11, ArtRage Vitae.
    My painting real-estate is extended across three monitors.]

Good morning Brett
    Despite Junes faith in my knowledge of Macs sadly I don’t think I can add anything helpful here as I don’t have a second monitor at the moment to test AR with.
    But some thoughts…
    Dose which UI mode AR is using affect anything i.e. Docking or Classic modes?
    Or possibly whether AR is in Fullscreen mode or not?
    AR on Macs effectively has two Fullscreen modes.
    One triggered by using the double arrow in the top right corner of the app’s UI, the other by using the standard Mac Green traffic-light window button top left.
    With the former method AR can be hidden using the standard Mac key command; cmd+H. But not if the Green button was used to enter Fullscreen.
    Given this anomaly exists, I wonder if AR's given UI sate may also have a bearing on how you move AR to another screen…?
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram

Thanks June, always good to know I’m not shouting into an empty room

Brett
    Kia whakatōmuri te haere whakamua (“I walk backwards into the future with my eyes fixed on my past”).

Thanks Mark. I’ll investigate and let you know. It is odd!

It seems to be a "full-screen thing."

Using the double arrow top right makes no difference at all to the problem.

The green traffic light however, when long pressed has options (I didn't know that!) and one is move to Viewsonic. That moves the canvas over no problem, and back again. Yay! There is still a weirdness that when moving in and out of full screen locks up the app and I have to force quit and begin again. I'm playing with that to see if I can come up with something repeatable. I'm busy this week so it may take a while.

Thanks Mark! Excellent suggestions as usual. I hope Ambient appreciate the work you do around here (are you listening Ambient? ) because I certainly do. Many thanks to you for the comments and the help both to me and all the other people you have helped and guided over 2023.

Brett
    Last edited by Perendale; 01-14-2024 at 12:32 PM.