Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A.I. and ArtRage

A.I. and ArtRage

Portrait generated with Artificial Intelligence, layered style transfers and ArtRage chalk embellishments.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Artificial Intelligence Portrait 1 Artrage.jpg 
Views:	258 
Size:	444.8 KB 
ID:	99615

Wow very good work congratulation alkratzer
    Visit my website here

Hi alkratzer great painting. Have you just come back ? As I seem to remember Your name from THE PAST OK. CIAO. EIghty +

This is such an interesting painting. Tell us more about AI.
    June.

Oh God of homeless things, look down
    And try to ease the way
    Of all the little weary paws
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

http://enug66.deviantart.com/gallery/

[My setup: hp 15in laptop,11th Gen Intel Core i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz 2.70 GHz, 8.00 GB RAM, 24in Acer 2nd monitor, Huion Kamvas 20 Pro display tablet, Windows 11, ArtRage Vitae.
    My painting real-estate is extended across three monitors.]

Amazing stuff here!
    Enchanter
    Draw what you see!....not what you think you see!!
    My artist friend

We Must each think of ourselves as an endless work in progress ....Harley Brown

The final effect of the painting is stunning. The word that comes to mind is 'Esoteric' in part because of the your alchemical shorthand in the description, and partly because the painting shows a more sweeping glide into the arching rainbow world revealing a point where sonic and visual vibration cross paths.

It strikes me as if the arc of a rainbow was the prismatic groove of a hidden song, like the sun burst through revealing an Aquarian palette and you set up an easel for some not so plein aire painting.

Nice to see you again. Your paintings are like a rainbow in the desert. Nice one, Al.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Beautiful work, good to see you Al!

Landscapes created with Artificial Intelligence and a background how to

This landscape and the portrait posted earlier were created using a number of steps that start with generating an image using machine learning. Basically, computers are trained on 1,000s of images of faces or landscapes and "learn" the key elements of each to be able to generate new unique "photos" of faces or landscapes that never existed in the real world.

The technical term for this type of Artificial Intelligence is called "Generative Adversarial Networks" (GANs in acronym speak) The "generative" part is obvious, but the "adversarial" part is in reference to part of the training process. Two computers are given the same set of images and then the first creates "new" images and the second one looks at the results and accepts or rejects it based on if it was a successful rendition of a face, landscape or whatever. over many passes, Accepted and rejected images "teach" the first computer to get better at generating believable images. Once you have an initial image, it can be adjusted and tweaked on a number of parameters -- "more trees, less trees" or "smile, no smile" and the like -- until you are satisfied with the result.

The second step to the process involves a different Artificial Intelligence method call "Neural Networks" which are attempting to teach computers to "see" as humans do. It is sometimes called "Texture Mapping" because computers don't see depth, just pixel patterns on a flat surface. If you have ever used one of those apps that make your selfie look like Van Gogh painted it, you are using that technology. The computer has mapped numerous examples of an artist's work and then can "transfer" that style onto any other image. You can do this process using many images or even just one. By taking the generated image from step one you can use step 2 to transform its look. By creating custom collages of example textures you can create personal styles. Some of you might notice that the face posted earlier still looked like some of my earlier work. That is because I choose transformation styles that appeal to my sense of color, brush stroke and the like.

Step three involves creating multiple style versions of the same image using step 2 -- one that looks like oil paint, one that looks like pen and ink, one that introduces a random abstract shapes, etc. and then layering them and blending them in a program like Photoshop. In the face example I also added Art Rage pastel embellishments.

Want to play with this stuff yourself? Create your own images, series of steps, textures and the like?

Step 1 ArtBreeder here:
    https://www.artbreeder.com

Step 2 Deep Dream Generator here:
    https://deepdreamgenerator.com/

I have a one-man show of this work coming up in September. There is a Step Four that uses A.I. to upscale the images to a high resolution for printing on canvas or metal. AI Gigapixel is my software of choice for that. Pictorem in Montreal is the printing house I use -- they are one of the few that offer a high gloss epoxy glazing on canvases as well as a newer dye sublimation print on metal that is fantastic!

Name:	Forest Example2.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	237.7 KB 
ID:	99800

Variations and Layer blending example

This shows multiple layers being blended together to get the final image. By varying the blending modes (darker, multiply, overlay, pin light, hue, etc.) you can come up with all manner of subtle combinations that enhances the color variations and adds a textural depth that has one foot in a transparent ink vibe.

Name:	Screen Shot 1.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	300.8 KB 
ID:	99801

Thank you Al, for this news flash!

It's a deeply fascinating leap so far beyond what I was aware of prior, that I find that I am more into processing the ramifications more than being fascinated at the technology of it and the Art that can be made by fiddling with sliders.

Al, I can see you taking it further than what pops out from the processor. You're using that image that was generated as a starting point and that's great. And you used your catalog of paintings as the style seed making it far more personal. That's a brilliant segue for you.

My hat's off to you for wanting to continue deeper into the journey where most would probably call it done with exploiting the mix-and-match of whatever is in the database. But you're keeping the Artistry in it.

I guess regular painting will become more rarefied like practicing the Zen of calligraphy. The oweness will be on the voluntary intention or consciousness of the one making the images more than on the technique, especially since most of the casual users will likely just stop when the computer stops processing and call it finished.

Will be interesting to see where this goes with a few more clicks of the evolutionary wheel.

Thanks for the connection to the techno-world. I would probably have missed it. My head is still spinning.

I generated these variations of the one default AI character in almost absurdly short order. It's nearly like made to order clip art when I did it like that with no personal input of my own art. Such a trip and brave new world and all that. Wow.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream