Thread: The Professor

The Professor

I'm having a go at painting realistically, not much joy really, can't seem to get the detail or the rendering as perfect as I see on other artists work, I must be missing something??????
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Professor.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	53.5 KB 
ID:	99365   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Professor.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	75.2 KB 
ID:	99368  
    Last edited by jacktar51; 07-22-2020 at 11:04 PM. Reason: mod to above
    http://jacktar51.cgsociety.org/
    Some of my artwork can be seen at the above link.......Jack.

Hi. Jack. It will help you if you just. Relax. Ok. Ciao. PLOOS

Hello Eighty+,
    If you was Eighty+ in April 2010 and its now 2020, that means you must be Ninety+ by now, so another ten and you'll be getting a message from her majesty, Hmmmm, remember 80, just keep waking up every morning, and keep posting, you have many followers, and many, many posts, keep em coming old chap!... Regards, Jack..

Nice message to Eighty+, there Jack-o. We're all on board with that sentiment.

Yeah, you were wondering about portraits and what makes one bloke's look good and another artist's not so well finished:

If I may, I would recommend that you find models where the lighting is more dramatically divided between light and shadow because that division is descriptive of the forms on the face. That lighting chisels the planes in a way soft lighting can't and pretty much can stand alone with the information therein. And then when you place the light and shadow properly, you're work is pretty much done for you and the rest is finesse. You'll have the portrait clearly established.

Hope this helps. Check out old paperback covers. There's a lot of light and shadow and it's not just about drama. It's a practical way to build up volume and it also shows off nuances like subtle facial detail and even expressions.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Quote Originally Posted by D Akey View Post
    Nice message to Eighty+, there Jack-o. We're all on board with that sentiment.

Yeah, you were wondering about portraits and what makes one bloke's look good and another artist's not so well finished:

If I may, I would recommend that you find models where the lighting is more dramatically divided between light and shadow because that division is descriptive of the forms on the face. That lighting chisels the planes in a way soft lighting can't and pretty much can stand alone with the information therein. And then when you place the light and shadow properly, you're work is pretty much done for you and the rest is finesse. You'll have the portrait clearly established.

Hope this helps. Check out old paperback covers. There's a lot of light and shadow and it's not just about drama. It's a practical way to build up volume and it also shows off nuances like subtle facial detail and even expressions.
    Hello D.
    I always listen to what you say and try to put that knowledge into practice in my pictures, thanks for sharing your little tips and advice, my work has improved over the last few years and much of it has been due to listening and taking it all in, your advice has helped me a LOT, Thanks D......Jack.

Ditto on note to Eighty+

And nice to see a new effort in a new style from you. I've not been in the Forum for ages, so it's great to see you pop up trying new directions in my quick perusing this past week.. As for advice, go with D Akey. God knows what blunders you would encounter from anything I'd offer. I've always loved your terrific paintings - I followed your many threads in those good old days.
    Appreciation fosters well-being. Be well.
    Thread with bunches of my AR paintings-conversations. Here