Thread: Seamless metal textures

Seamless metal textures

I use seamless textures as a support, between layers and on top. I wanted to know if anyone uses metal textures in this manner. I already checked you tube. If it is the complement of the main painting, do you make the layer slightly opaque so it shows through. Thanks.

I regularly use texture layers in paintings especially in watercolour or pastel based ones.
    Mostly, but not always, I keep them at the top of the layer stack in a group of their own and mostly have them set to Overlay blend mode and of varying opacity’s.
    Sometimes I use the textures retaining their original colours but often I will take out all the colour and just use them as black & white.
    I have no really hard and fast rules on using them and each painting usually ends up with it’s own unique set of texture overlays.
    But the one thing I do try to always do is set them up at the start of a painting, though I may “tweak” them at times later on.
    Imposing textures on a finished or nearly finished work often feels “forced” and unconvincing. Where as if they are there from the beginning, no matter how subtle they may be, I find they do affect my choices during painting, resulting in a more unified look and feel.
    The attached shot is fairly typical of my texture layers in a painting.
    But really it all comes down to experimenting and seeing what works for you, there are no “right” or “wrong” ways of creating your own art just what pleases you!
    Name:  Screenshot 2020-07-21 at 12.19.43.png
Views: 1429
Size:  219.7 KB
    Last edited by markw; 07-21-2020 at 11:44 PM.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram

Thanks Mark.