Thread: Actions Question

Actions Question

I tried making an action to replace color samples. Seems to have recorded correctly. (no error messages)

I replaced the color samples, with a palette of approx 30 colors, while recording the action.

Then manually replaced those color samples with a palette of approx 10 colors.

Ran the action thinking it was going to replace my color samples, with the 30 colors palette from when I recorded the action.

It did not ... stayed on the 10 color palette that I manually changed.

???
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hi Danna, well first off, Scripts/Actions are not an area of AR that I play with much I must confess
    So other users here may have better more helpful insights than I about this!
    However after trying what you described, and looking at the resulting Action script in a text editor I note that no 'Events' are recorded after the 'Header'.
    Two possibilities;
    A: This is to be expected and you can not record changes of Samples.
    Or:
    B: It’s a bug, and you really should be able to record said Sample changes.
    Right now, I think your guess is as good as mine as to which it is; A or B?
    If you want to look at the Action script you made you can find it from within AR via the Menubar: Tools > Actions > Actions Folder…
    Sorry, non of this is probably very helpful to you is it
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram

Hi!

I think that doesn't work, because it doesn't make much sense. I think the Actions are meant to apply predefined Actions to the image. It's not made for pure administrative tasks. You can choose all colors you want with the Color Picker. The Color Samples are just some kind of Presets to choose collections of certain colors. All the colors in the Color Samples can also be set by the Color Picker. So it will not be important to choose a certain Color Sample to apply colors to the canvas. This will only be important for you if you do it by hand.

But if you want to do such presets for some paintings you are planning to paint, you could use the Toolbox for it. The Toolbox allows to save certain Color Samples.

Yes, I think you probably have the right of it there Somerset. That all seems logical.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by markw View Post
    Hi Danna, well first off, Scripts/Actions are not an area of AR that I play with much I must confess
    So other users here may have better more helpful insights than I about this!
    However after trying what you described, and looking at the resulting Action script in a text editor I note that no 'Events' are recorded after the 'Header'.
    Two possibilities;
    A: This is to be expected and you can not record changes of Samples.
    Or:
    B: It’s a bug, and you really should be able to record said Sample changes.
    Right now, I think your guess is as good as mine as to which it is; A or B?
    If you want to look at the Action script you made you can find it from within AR via the Menubar: Tools > Actions > Actions Folder…
    Sorry, non of this is probably very helpful to you is it
    Thanks for the reply

Quote Originally Posted by Somerset View Post
    Hi!

because it doesn't make much sense.
    A quick way to choose a specific preset made sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by dannac View Post
    A quick way to choose a specific preset made sense to me.
    Hm, on one side: you open the "Tools"-Menu, you go down to the "Actions"-Submenu to open it and click on "Actions Panel" to open the Actions Panel. Than you choose your Action an click on "Play". After it is done, you probably close the "Actions"-Panel.

On the other side: You open the "View"-Menu and click on "Color Samples", than you click on the menu-symbol on top of the "Color Samples"-Panel and click on "Replace Samples". You choose "Load from Disc" or "Select from Collection". Than you choose your collection and click "OK".

Would the Action really make your work much easier? Especially if you think about that you would need different Actions for different color samples? And by the way: How often will you change your color samples? For me that doesn't seem to make much sense.

But have you tried the docking Mode (Menu "View" > "Interface Mode" > "Docking Mode")? In this mode the "Color Samples"-Menu is placed directly in the menu bar. You can open it with just one click, and with a second click on the menu-symbol at the top of this menu you reach the "Replace Samples"-Menu. You can also have the "Color Samples"-Menu permanently on your screen, and dock it to the left or right side of your GUI, if you have space enough.
    Last edited by Somerset; 07-19-2020 at 10:42 AM.