Thread: Ink Pen width

Ink Pen width

Hello,

I have ArtRage since ages, but barely used it. I just upgraded to version 6 and begin to use it as I love Ink & wash paintings.

Here is my question: when using the Ink Pen, 1% is too small and 2% too big. I'd love to enter 1.3 or 1.5% but can't or don't know how to do it.

How are you guys doing it to get the perfect width you want?

Thanks in advance!
    Old

Hi OldLink!

I think you could compensate the thickness of the Ink Pen by enlarging the image a bit before you paint. Because the thickness of it will always be relative to the imagesize. Do you understand what I mean?

In AR only whole numbers can be entered into any editable number field, not just for tool widths.
    However though, apparent line width can vary depending on your painting’s settings.
    Example:
    Painting A; 1000x1000 px @72ppi = a print size of 35.28cm
    Painting B; 4167x4167px @300ppi = a print size of 35.28cm
    A single 500% line made with the Pastel tool in painting A will fill nearly 1/3+/- of the canvas. But a 500% Pastel line on painting B will only fill around 1/12+/- of the canvas.
    Likewise at the other end of the scale in the examples above, in painting A there is a noticeable difference between a 1% line and a 2% line. While in painting B the difference between a 1% and a 2% line is practically imperceptible.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram

Thanks both of you for your replies, very clear!
    Old

To prevent misunderstanding: You should not paint images that are meant to be printed with a relative resolution of 72 pixels per inch. 72 ppi are to less pixels for an Inch, so that the pixels will be too big and the quality of the print will be too bad. The standard for printing is 300 ppi. For posters it can be reduced, because posters will be viewed from a wider distance, so that posters can be printed with bigger raster-dots (= a lower resolution), but you shouldn't undercut 180 ppi.

72 ppi is a resolution just for images that are meant to be shown on monitors.