Thread: City landscape

Gallery
    View images

City landscape

Hi everyone!
    This is a sunset in Saint Petersburg. Fell free to critisize. I know I'm not good at painting landscapes. What's wrong with this pic?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Gallery
    View images
    What's wrong with it is that I'm not there.

Were I to suggest anything, I think the magenta is not playing well with the other colors.

It's pretty dark and too intense, which doesn't fit with the pastel peach nature of the rest of the picture.

Where the magenta appears, it's spotty and competes with the image you're depicting. I see magenta marks, when in fact I want to see the landscape first.

It's marks, and not descriptive of anything.

But the overall pic is great. And like I say, I would love to be in a place like that.

Gallery
    View images
    I like this painting and only have a couple of comments. First thing that stands out is the sky. It is obvious that you painted the cloud formations around the buildings and have created a kind of halo effect. The sky should be done first, the add the buildings over it. If you have the paid version of AR you can do this with layers.

The other thing that seems a little 'off' is the color under the bridge. I would expect to see the lower parts of the buildings. Can't tell what we are seeing there.

Keep up the good work.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day - Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day! Joe V.

Gallery
    View images
    D Akey: Thank you very much for your advice. As usually you're very kind to me. Have you noticed there're no dogs there? :wink:

Jvolkel: Thank you very much for your detailed instructions. Unfortunately I have free AR version. The buildings are inside the fortress so all we can see under the bridge is the part of the wall surrounding the buildings

I tried to correct the picture. Here it is.

Gallery
    View images
    Much better

Jvolkel draws my attention to the under bridge area. There's a color principle that says that warms and more intense colors come forward, and cools and more neutral intensities recede. Under the bridge is a warm color.

I think one of the things you can begin to think about is to think about your relative placement in distance, and to push and pull the planes using your colors for those specific areas.

For example, since that burnt orange under the bridge (the wall) is farther back than the bridge, I would recommend making it more neutral and cooler than the bridge -- to push it back.

So you can divide your painting up into segments - sky, distant buildings, bridge and water. And you can mix your palette to make a signature for each area. You can integrate the colors somewhat, but in each area there will be a dominant subset of the overall peach colors. It would still maintain the overall key toward peach.

This principle may go contrary to reference photos sometimes, but fewer people would question a photo than a painting. So you cheat it in favor of your artistic choices in order to make it not draw too much attention to some relatively minor area.

You're point is well taken though, the picture needs a doggie. But I didn't want to overstate the obvious.

Gallery
    View images
    Hi Nika,

This is so beautiful. I'm not quqlified to give any crticis as I also need that too. Got lots of nice input here from jvolkel and D Akey on this. Thanks Nika.

Gallery
    View images
    D Akey: Thank you again. I tried to correct the picture once more

Pai: Thank you for kind words

Gallery
    View images
    Hey, where's the dog? :wink:

Nice.

Gallery
    View images
    D Akey: The dog is inside the fortress