Thread: Realistic Looking Painting on Photo of 3d Surface?

Realistic Looking Painting on Photo of 3d Surface?

I took the attached photo of tree bark. I want to use Artrage to paint on this photo in a way that will make it look like the paint is physically on the tree bark. Any tips on how to do this?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	288.9 KB 
ID:	99179   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	534.7 KB 
ID:	99180  
    Last edited by Mhoh11; 06-27-2020 at 02:26 PM.

Hi Mhoh11!

You could load the bark into ArtRage, create a new layer above it and give it a blend mode (for example "Overlay" or "Soft Light", "Tint", "Color" - test it out!). Then paint on it.

Another opportunity is to create a Canvas outoff the bark image. In that case you should load the bark image as Grain and also as Pattern in the Canvas Settings Window. It should both have the same size as the image you want to create (or you have to make a seamless Pattern outoff it first). Than you will have the bark as background image (Pattern) and its texture (Grain), that forms the relief structure of the brushstroke. But you should consider that Grain and Pattern alsways should have the same size (Grain Size and Scale).

Notice that the painting will always just lie on a flat (2D) surface, because ArtRage is a 2D-Graphic-Software.
    Last edited by Somerset; 06-28-2020 at 12:58 AM.

Thanks Somerset! Do you by any chance have a link to a video (or article with images) giving some sort of tutorial/example of what you mentioned (especially what you mentioned in paragraph 2)?

The tactics you mentioned sound amazing! However, seeing some sort of tutorial/example will really make sure I understand what is possible. Thanks again!!

Sorry, but I'm afraid I have not, because I almost never use tutorials. In most cases I learn by exploring and trying out, try and error. But as I said, it's easy. A Canvas in fact isn't more than an image with some kind of texture. The greyscales of it define the texture, dephts and heights, shadows and lights. This image will be used by ArtRage as a tile, that will be repeated side by side, so that it fills each image size you choose for your painting.

The main problem is to make it seamless, so that there will be no visible edges between the tiles. But even this is not really difficult - depending on the image. You just have to cut the image vertically and horizontally in four pieces and put them on four seperate layers. Than drag the upper left part of the image to the bottom right corner and the bottom right part to the upper left corner. Do the same with the upper right and the bottom left parts. So the image will fit seamless to a duplicate of itself at the outer edges. Than you have to make the image seamles at the inner edges between the four parts. For that you merge the layers down to one and retouche the seams with the Cloner Tool. I prefer to do this with GIMP or Photoshop, because it works more precisely there. In fact GIMP has a filter called "Make seamless" in the "Filters"-Menu under "Map", that sometimes does this whole job with just one click and without cutting the image in pieces. But sometimes - depending on the image - you even have to puzzle a bit to make it perfect. And then you just need to load the image into ArtRage's Canvas Settings Window as I described above. In most cases you won't need to load a Pattern, because you will only need the Grain - the texture - for your canvas. But you should test it and make your own decision. After loading the image, you can test it by painting on the canvas.

I have attached an image as an example for a canvas. It's a little weird, but I think it will make comprehensable how it works. Load it to the Grain Preview Window of your Canvas Settings ("Load from Disk") and try to paint on it with different Tools and Settings. The texture will become visible when you paint on it. But you can also make it visible with the "Metallic"- and the "Intensity"-Slider of the Canvas Settings. Hope this helps! If not, ask again.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Spidey_01.jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	476.5 KB 
ID:	99188
    Last edited by Somerset; 06-28-2020 at 08:39 AM.

Hi and welcome Mhoh11.

The bark looks like it has a face. I'mwondering if your plan is to embellish the face with thick paint? If so this what I did. Simply "Import image file" choosing the bark image.

You will need a thick paint - I used a custom brush (SEA Thick Oil Overpaint). It was in a set of brushes offered as a download - hopefully someone will remember where, I can't, sorry.

However, if you go to Art Supplies - Downloads, you will see .ARpack - Beginner Oil Brushes by Juz and there is included in that pack #10 Thick Impasto which might be suitable.

Name:  Tree face.jpg
Views: 11660
Size:  47.9 KB
    June.

Oh God of homeless things, look down
    And try to ease the way
    Of all the little weary paws
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

http://enug66.deviantart.com/gallery/

[My setup: hp 15in laptop,11th Gen Intel Core i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz 2.70 GHz, 8.00 GB RAM, 24in Acer 2nd monitor, Huion Kamvas 20 Pro display tablet, Windows 11, ArtRage Vitae.
    My painting real-estate is extended across three monitors.]