Thread: Possible Bug problem. AR6 and PSCS6

Possible Bug problem. AR6 and PSCS6

AR6 has now crashed a few times and i've lost work. I've lost 4 hours work today. I believe it is being caused by opening Photoshop CS6:

I exported and image file as PNG to my desktop, AR6 was minimised, I clicked to open photoshop and AR glitches and an error box came up and said Art Rage has closed unexpectedly. All my work gone. I'm an intuitive artist working on the hoof so saving every 10 minutes in case AR crashes is not an option. I have been unable to locate the lost work via time machine...

There's a simple answer to all this. Next version, autosave.

Not good.

Hi Hey Ottist!

I'm not sure if I really understand what you mean, but there already is an Autosave-Feature as far as I know. In the Preferences under "Advanced Preferences": the "Store Backup Files"-Slider. I didn't test it, but I think that is something like Autosave.

Quote Originally Posted by Somerset View Post
    Hi Hey Ottist!

I'm not sure if I really understand what you mean, but there already is an Autosave-Feature as far as I know. In the Preferences under "Advanced Preferences": the "Store Backup Files"-Slider. I didn't test it, but I think that is something like Autosave.
    Hi Somerset!

Aha! Hidden away in a place I didn't know existed! Yes. I am one of those people who never reads the instructions. That's me shown. Thank you Somerset.

It perhaps should be noted that the Auto Save feature in AR once activated dose not save a painting’s current state at specific time intervals. Instead once activated it only create a backup when the user hit’s Save.
    At which point AR will create a copy of the file you are working on and it is on this copy that you will continue to work.
    That first iteration of your painting will now saved in it’s current state and be called PaintingNameHere_GenA.ptgback.
    The next time you hit save, a new working file will be created again and the one you were just working on will now be called PaintingNameHere_GenA.ptgback and the one before that now becomes PaintingNameHere_GenB.ptgback. And so on…
    As all of this happens automatically each time you hit save, you won’t notice it happening, so it won’t interfere with the flow of your work.

The current maximum number of files AR will create and keep like this is currently 26 and can be set in AR's Preferences. After the specified number is reached, when a new file is created the oldest backup falls out the back, so to speak, and is deleted.
    These backup files are always stored in the same location as the painting generating them. So to keep things neat and orderly on your system I would recommend keeping individual paintings in their own named folders.
    Last edited by markw; 06-27-2020 at 09:16 AM.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram