Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Error Message Can't Open art rage

Error Message Can't Open art rage

The programme has crashed a couple of times in the last week or so, no idea why. But just now I tried to open ArtRage6 and got an error message then I can't click on OK on the error message, art rage just hangs, then opens without the top menu. I had just done a painting, saved it, then tried to open it in PS CS6 forgetting it was a ptg file so closed it, then went to open ArtRage and got the error message. I closed ALL apps then restarted my computer. Same error message and result on attempting to open AR6. No idea what's going on.

Using Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-06-24 at 14.36.57.jpg 
Views:	313 
Size:	71.2 KB 
ID:	99156

Sorry to see you have run into a problem!
    This isn’t a problem I’ve ever encountered so can’t off a solution here I’m afraid
    I would recommend contacting Ambient Design directly about this here: [email protected]
    Explain your situation and give as much OS and hardware info as you can and as much detail as possible as to what you were doing when this started.
    I don’t know where you are but Ambient Design are in New Zealand so there could be quite a time difference affecting response time to emails. But I have always found them very helpful.

In the meantime;
    Is it just this one ptg file that triggers this problem?
    Dose AR launch correctly, just on it’s own, by double clicking it’s icon in the Applications folder?
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram

The problem comes from launching from the app icon. I tried launching from the painting and same thing. I tried with a different painting and exactly the same thing happens. It eventually opens but without the top menu options. This is bad, because I'm on the clock. :'(

When you say the “top Menu” which Menu Bar are you referring to?
    A: The OS generated one with, for us Mac users, the little Apple icon far left?
    Or;
    B: The app generated Menu Bar showing File, Edit, Tools etc…?
    In this one these entries can be turned On/Off in AR’s Preferences > Interface. Is Show Menus in Menu Bar ticked?

Have you tried reinstalling AR?

Do you use Time Machine? You could try restoring these files & folders from the most recent backup in the time period you know AR was working correctly.
    The .ptg file that may have first given rise to this issue.
    AR’s “support” folders here in macOS10.14: /Users/your name here/Library/Application Support/Ambient Design
    Note: this path may be different in your OS version, I don’t know for sure.
    And the app itself in the Applications folder.
    Last edited by markw; 06-25-2020 at 04:17 AM.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    On Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by markw View Post
    When you say the “top Menu” which Menu Bar are you referring to?
    A: The OS generated one with, for us Mac users, the little Apple icon far left?
    Or;
    B: The app generated Menu Bar showing File, Edit, Tools etc…?
    In this one these entries can be turned On/Off in AR’s Preferences > Interface. Is Show Menus in Menu Bar ticked?

Have you tried reinstalling AR?

Do you use Time Machine? You could try restoring these files & folders from the most recent backup in the time period you know AR was working correctly.
    The .ptg file that may have first given rise to this issue.
    AR’s “support” folders here in macOS10.14: /Users/your name here/Library/Application Support/Ambient Design
    Note: this path may be different in your OS version, I don’t know for sure.
    And the app itself in the Applications folder.
    The app menu bar. I switched the menu on through preferences and got this weird basic, blocky version of the menu bar, when you click on file in the menu bar you get a new error message....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-06-24 at 17.57.46.png 
Views:	257 
Size:	84.8 KB 
ID:	99157

If I reinstall AR, I lose all my brushes and stencils (hours of work) I created for this project. I am absolutely beside myself all those hours of work gone. I was supposed to be working today, this is paid work too. I am absolutely livid AND I could cry. Why would a file, created in AR, cause it to mess up so monumentally???? I do have time machine, I've never used it before as I've never had anything crash so badly before. I have no idea what to do. I'm dyslexic so understanding guides and instructions are pretty much beyond me. I wouldn't know where to start.

Ive just tried Time Machine, no idea if i've done the right thing, but I've got this message and I have no idea what it's asking or what it means. As I said, dyslexic.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-06-24 at 18.24.19.png 
Views:	267 
Size:	65.8 KB 
ID:	99158

Sorry for the delay replying my internet went down!
    Yes, that's a normal message. The OS just want's to make sure of your intentions!
    In this case, yes, we want to choose 'Replace'.
    But if you are nervous of Time Machine first try downloading and installing a fresh copy of AR from your Members Area where you registered your copy of AR.
    Last edited by markw; 06-25-2020 at 06:35 AM.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    On Instagram

Oh thank you. Will try. Fingers crossed.

Didn't work . Same error message.

OK, that is very disappointing.
    I've got an old Mac here that's running OS 10.11 and just installed AR6 on it and the "support" folder's path I mentioned earlier seems the same as in my main computer.
    However looking at the files it contains I don't now think that replacing it with an earlier version via Time Machine will help. I can't see anything in there that AR would need to construct the user interface which seems to be the problem you are having.
    I fear this is something that only ArtRage Support will be able to sort out.
    Last edited by markw; 06-25-2020 at 07:08 AM.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    On Instagram