Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you warp a straight line in ArtRage6

How do you warp a straight line in ArtRage6

It's a pretty basic thing that you can do in both Word and Photoshop, but I can't figure out how to do it in art rage. Basically I have a straight line that I want to warp into a curve. I tried using the french curve stencils and they're pretty crap for me tbh. What I'm wanting is to draw a curving road into the distance, so draw a couple of straight lines and then warp them. How does one achieve that?

In fact, come to think of it, can you curve the perspective grids?

As AR has no Mesh Warp or Vector capabilities you could use the Perspective Grid or possibly the Transform tool to give the two strait lines their basic perspective first, ie running in the right general direction and plane, and then use the Warp filter to put the bends and kinks in and basically adjust to taste.
    The Warp filter can be found in the Menubar here: Edit > Filters > Warp…
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram

I think, it isn't the best way to warp a straight line for this job, because you will get an unsteady blurred curve. Think of the pixels! For such things I use to build stencils by using a Vector-Graphics-Program like Inkscape (Open Source), Illustrator or CorelDraw - if I can't draw it by hand satisfying. That is verry easy and accurate.

Maybe another solution could be drawing the curve with the Ink Pen by setting the Taper Bias to 100% and the Taper Length to 100%. You will need a bigger Tool Size, I think. For a cleaner curve you can play with the smoothing. And than you paint your curve, beginning on the horizon, swinging to the front.
    Last edited by Somerset; 05-13-2020 at 10:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Somerset View Post
    I think, it isn't the best way to warp a straight line for this job...
    Hi Somerset,
    Oh, I totally agree! Totally!
    Although the resultant road done this way could be used as a foundation or guide for painting the final road over it.
    But I suggested it because as posited, the question was how to warp a couple of lines into a windy road going off into the distance in AR.
    Personally I would just sketch out and paint a winding road going into the distance rather than trying to warp anything. And maybe have the Perspective Grid showing on screen so as to help stay true to the paintings overall perspective.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    On Instagram

Absolutely! Cause painting by hand - that's what ArtRage ist made for. To warp lines, to make curves outoff it, is a classic thing to make with vector graphics.

Sorry markw, I didn't want to criticise what you wrote. Just wanted to show Hey Ottist, that he intended an awkward workflow for his project.

This might not apply here, but if I need two lines to curve together I first use the ink pen to draw a wide single line (with whatever tapering and smoothing I need) in the shape of the curve I want. I create a stencil of that line, and using the "guide" mode of my stencil, I trace it with a smaller tool. Since I'm using "guide" rather than "ruler" or "stencil", I have the option of using a tapering line (ink pen) to make the trace. I use this as a locked layer to create a reference or tracing template for layers above it that create my painting.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LINE CURVING TOGETHER, CAPTURE.PNG 
Views:	192 
Size:	350.6 KB 
ID:	98997

Hi sueellen,
    That’s quite clever
    You and Somerset have both shown more inventiveness than me with this!
    Stay safe the pair of you
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    On Instagram

Thank you kindly for your replies, much appreciated. I tried the warp option and sorry, it wasn't very good (though I'm new to this software so...) . What I did was what Somerset suggested, used the ink pen and taper bias.

This thread has also answered another question - whether the text was image or vector, clearly not. Unfortunate. I'll look into some vector graphics programmes. I'm working on a short story with illustrations and a graphic artist friend told me to save text as vector rather than image to keep it crisp for printing. I don't know much about graphics programmes, this is my first voyage into digital art. Learning all the time. It makes my brain hurt.

Clever!

Quote Originally Posted by sueellen View Post
    This might not apply here, but if I need two lines to curve together I first use the ink pen to draw a wide single line (with whatever tapering and smoothing I need) in the shape of the curve I want. I create a stencil of that line, and using the "guide" mode of my stencil, I trace it with a smaller tool. Since I'm using "guide" rather than "ruler" or "stencil", I have the option of using a tapering line (ink pen) to make the trace. I use this as a locked layer to create a reference or tracing template for layers above it that create my painting.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LINE CURVING TOGETHER, CAPTURE.PNG 
Views:	192 
Size:	350.6 KB 
ID:	98997
    I meant this, this is clever.