Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do you warp a straight line in ArtRage6

Hallo Hey Ottist!

Pixelbased Programs aren't the best choice for working with text, because text will never have the sharp edges it could have as vectors - except for bigger sized text, that shall have a special effect on it, that you can only produce with pixelbased programs. Professional Graphic Designers mostly work with three different types of programs: Pixelbased Image Editing Software (like Adobe Photoshop, Corel's Paintshop Pro, Affinity Photo or GIMP), Vectorgraphics-Software (like Adobe Illustrator, CorelDraw, Affinity Designer or Inkscape) and DTP-Software (like Adobe Indesign, Quark XPress, Affinity Publisher or Scribus). For Painting Artists there are some special Programs too (like ArtRage, Autodesk, Corel Painter, Krita, MyPaint...). Painting and Image Editing Software export Bitmaps (pixelbased: JPEG, TIFF, PNG...), Vectorgraphic Software exports Vectorgraphics (that are based on Vector, that means data from points in a coordinate system, the angles between them and so on: SVG, EPS...). DTP-Software is made to combine pixelimages, vectorimages and text in one document (PDF) for high quality printing. Anyway it is also possible to use a Vectorgraphic-Software as a DTP-, cause you can load an pixelimage into it and combine it with text. It is not as convenient as a DTP-Software for this, but it works, and you can also export your document as a PDF. But the most professional way to do it is to do this with a DTP Software.

Hope that helps a little for orientation.

Yeah I think I get it. So am I right in saying I could do my art in ArtRage, then add text in a DTP software? What would you recommend in DTP, i.e. intuitive, not too expensive etc.

I use to work with Scribus, wich is Open Source and free, and Adobes InDesign, wich is part of the Creative Suite. Some years ago I also had a cheap version of CorelDraw, wich is a combination of Vectorgraphics- and DTP-Software. It is also nice. I'm affraid, DTP is generally a little bit abstract and affords some learning. But if you want quality-printing, it's worth it.

Thanks Somerset