Thread: Still life - honeysuckle in a glass tumbler

Still life - honeysuckle in a glass tumbler

My wife likes to put odds and ends of cuttings of cuttings from the garden into glasses from time to time. As usual, this one - honeysuckle in a glass tumbler - caught my eye, so I put some white card on the table, against the wall, and did the illustration from that. I covered the table top with the card because I wanted to see how painting clear glass against a white background would look. Sheer curiosity - and, of course, the glass is never clear!

The top image is correct - the bottom one was uploaded in error!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Still life - flower in vase.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	173.3 KB 
ID:	98972
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Still life - honeysuckle in glass tumbler.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	173.4 KB 
ID:	98969  
    Last edited by Mike A; 05-01-2020 at 08:21 PM. Reason: Wrong image

They both look good to me, Mike. Very crisp.

Don't know whether it's something you care to explore in future, but the cool patterning stuff could lead to really pushing the quality of patterns strategically throughout (albeit large playing off small)-- not where all the patterns are weighted equally, but it's more a matter of theme and the character of the piece. Certainly not necessary to create compositions with large and small design elements this way, but it's a thought that occurred to me because the pattern details are so cool in your piece.

Anyway, love your technique. Very fresh feeling and orderly.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

I know what you mean. Attention to detail shows up more when parts of the composition have very little detail! I purposely left the back wall blank, and covered the table top with white card - just to highlight the flower detail.