Thread: # 59 Mckaylee in Repose

# 59 Mckaylee in Repose

This is the 2nd portrait I did of a friend 's daughter. Mckaylee.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	#59 Mckaylee In Repose.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	154.2 KB 
ID:	98967

I've had things like that happen when I am holding a drawing tablet at an extreme angle to my line of sight. It's almost like the viewing angle has to be recreated to see the volume translate back into the normal form.

There were artists in the middle ages/renaissance who would deliberately produce that effect for large paintings hanging over the door in high ceiling rooms, that would look strange when you were across the room but then as you walked toward it and under the door it was above it would suddenly look normal. They did it as a trick of the eye.

I don't know if you had that in mind but it looks stretched a bit oblong like you painted it while laying down with the device laid onto your stomach or lap thus creating a painting in perfect proportions when viewed at that angle. Cool. Hope they like it.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Re: painting

to my sketch , I imported the reference image to a layer, then transformed to size. This the photo I used.The look of distortion my have been caucused by using the layer transform tool ATTACH=CONFIG]98968[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	67708613_10162052997365593_3451192641096515584_n.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	51.5 KB 
ID:	98968  

hello
    the first post i discover is yours.
    it is very nice !!!! i like the blue colors. very nice eyes !!!!! Really successfull !!!

I try to post one of my draws too with my first post but i didnt' arrive.
    If you wanted to help me junior member i would be really grateful.
    thank you very much and

I just fudged the distortion back into place as a way to show how close you were if there was no distortion. It's a really nice portrait. I will delete this if you like. No offense meant. Just wanted to show you that you did a fine job for your friend.Name:  ShellcrackerJr.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  206.3 KB
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

posting images

To post an image , use the insert image,See the image for exampleName:  Capture.JPG
Views: 300
Size:  28.2 KB

You have a better eye then me ,I really could not tell much of a difference , and no offense taken. what did you do to correct the distortion?

The most helpful thing is to put the reference photo on a layer and set the transparency either it or the painting you're re-adjusting to where you can see one through the other.

Then transform the painting to where the painting perfectly overlaps the photo. It's a ballpark guess at first, then you would probably thereafter need to fine tune particular elements.

Sometimes it's not a one step process. When adjusting for example the head, I had to copy and paste a few elements separately to adjust it to match (mouth. then eyes a little. then shoulders). And then clean up any parts that aren't matching exactly because the distortion was a little problem getting it perfect in one go. So when you pull one grab point and pull that part where it overlaps perfectly, it may mean the other side of it is now a little off. But yours was not too bad so it didn't require a lot of tweaking.

Oh, and of course then once you have it placed right you turn up the opacity to full again and hide the source photo so all you see is your painting.

It's hard to refit and know exactly which direction to pull to get them all to match up in one go. But that becomes a matter of trial and error, best guess and so on. And sometimes you then need to clean up an edge. Sounds complicated and it may feel that way the first time you do it. But it's really not such a big deal once you've done it a time or two.

But the key to the whole business is to match it to your photo reference right on top of it.
    Last edited by D Akey; 05-02-2020 at 02:02 AM.

Smile Thank you

Thank you very much for your help and your answer. I use this function but it did not work.
    I will try it again next time. 😊