Thread: how copy samples together with .ptg files..

how copy samples together with .ptg files..

all in title:
    how do I copy the "samples" (color samples) together with the ptg file? I use multiple devices and have a USB stick which I use to copy/paste my projects from one device to the other. (Rather than using the stick as only location for my projects, I like to use a file on the computer directly).
    That works without problems except..... when I have samples in a ptg file. It does not copy the samples with the ptg file...

How to save it together with the file so it gets copied?

using windows 10 64

Unfortunately there is currently no automated way to export all assets used in a painting, including the .ptg file itself, in one go I’m afraid
    Any assets like a .col file ie Colour Sample Collection or Presets, Stickers, etc… used in a .ptg file that did not come as part of ArtRage on computer A will have to be added to the same location on computer B
    You could make an ArtRagePackage File to install them or just manually gather them all up and paste them into place.
    I have sometimes wondered if a variant of the Package file function in AR could be developed that would automatically consolidate all assets used in a painting into one package file.
    So when opened on another computer it would then offer to install in the same locations any items that are not present on the receiving computer.
    I used to have a very good animation software that was able to do a very similar thing to this which was great for sharing and collaborating on projects.
    Last edited by markw; 04-27-2020 at 11:22 PM.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram

thanks for the answer, I am going to post it on "suggestions"... maybe, some day....

I'm not sure if I really understand your problem, but for such things there is the tool box, I think. You can gather all the things in it, that you are using in a certain project (color samples, tool presets, reference images ...). And you can save the tool box to disc (*.artbx) and port it - with or wothout your image file - to another computer. One advantage of this is that you can use the same tool box on several projects, for example to create a corporate design. You just need to load the tool box in that project. I am not sure if all these things are really included in the tool box or just linked, so that maybe you must copy these things additionally as sources for your tool box with it. Haven't tested it yet.

Hi Somerset,
    Yes, the problem with using Toolboxes to solve this is that they don’t actually contain anything.
    It’s more like a fetch list telling AR where to find the things on your disc that you have put in the toolbox.
    So unless everything that’s in the box is in the same place on the second computer you will get errors
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram

@markw
    That's what I was afraid of. Maybe that the developers could create an export-function for the tool box, wich samples the content of the box from it's sources and makes a package outoff it. I know a, in a wider sense, similar function from InDesign, Scribus and Quark XPress. In german it is called "Für Ausgabe sammeln". Don't know the english name for it. Maybe "Package..."?

Edit: In Scribus the function is called "Collect for Output". It samples all images (pixel and vector) and fonts, that are used in a layout.
    Last edited by Somerset; 04-28-2020 at 11:30 PM.