Thread: Evolution (Part II)

Evolution (Part II)

I find it interesting that if I attempt to paint a scene for a second time my second effort seems markedly better.. it's not like I am learning more technique in a day though!
    It feels almost as if artistic expression is coming forward much more in the second attempt.

This impage shows the source photo, the first attempt and the second attempt. There was <12hour gap between the two attempts. I find the second version to be far more interesting and pleasing.. less of a 'copy' of the photo and more an interpretation perhaps.. honest opinions welcome..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	poppies.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	187.2 KB 
ID:	98902

For me it's like this: in my first attempt at a project it's as if I'm trying it on, like clothes in a mirror at a shop. Does this fit? Where can I wear it? If I decide to buy it, I let it become truly mine.
    In your case, I can see that during the 12 hours between paintings, you allowed yourself to become truly committed to the blossoms and to the emotion they have evoked in you. You opened yourself to sharing that. The result is astounding.

Thank you.
    It's certainly an interesting evolution, I will need to experiement further.
    Artistic expression is an area that I struggle with. Perhaps the first attempt helped remove the obstructions of understanding the tool which was getting in the way of the expression..?

3rd Attempt

I tried the scene again and I think that this is my favourite of the three.
    I think that the warmth alignes with my memory of the field better.. warm July afternoons

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	poppies_3.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	466.1 KB 
ID:	98919

A painting is like a ton of little decisions as you proceed. I would think that you had gotten some of the right answers for you to jump over those questions to take it more assuredly toward completion. So, it would seem to me that you had in fact grown from doing it the first time.

Even in the event that one paints a weaker version the second time compared with the first, you are still in the period of answering questions. I should think that's what makes painting to answer questions dynamic. And of course painting when you have good answers and a better painting -- that's always very satisfying.

But don't discount the questions because those questions got you there regardless of which version you're doing.

What you've showed is quite nice! Good stuff.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Thank you... I will keep practicing ..

Thank you. I enjoy using the App and will try to develop my style with more efforts in the coming weeks..