Thread: "Jill", a post-mill, Clayton mills

"Jill", a post-mill, Clayton mills

This is an illustration of a windmill near the village of Clayton in East Sussex, UK. It's one of a pair of mills close to each other, known as "Jack & Jill" - this is "Jill". It's a post-mill - the upper, white part (the "buck") with the sails revolves around the black lower part (the "roundhouse"). The buck turns on a circular stone track. The inside of the mill is reached by stairs at the back of the roundhouse - so not visible in this view.

I worked as a volunteer at "Jill" for many years, until a back and foot problem stopped me from climbing ladders - and the 3 floors of a windmill are all reached by steep ladders! Anyway, I have great memories of glorious days, high on the hill, looking out over the beautiful Sussex countryside from the doorway of "Jill".

Done mainly with ink, some chalk and a little airbrush.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jill.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	350.9 KB 
ID:	98864

A pity you ruined your back working Jill. Sounds rather the impetuous lassie.

I would have thought that would have been quite a splendid job though in your youth -- good fresh air (an understatement no doubt being as she's a windmill).

Nice portrait too. Again you have the bright sunny light which in a way puts me in mind of one of those classic paintings of a white dressed girl on a breezy ridge against a blue sky that I always found so engaging and vital. You gave "her" a similar pose in a way.

Well done.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Wow beautiful piece.
    Visit my website here