Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Color profile

Color profile

Hello!,

I am working in ArtRage to paint and photoshop to finish the image, and I see very important color changes when ArtRage exports a PSD file. This is a big problem for me, cause I can't see "real" finished colors when painting.

Thanks.
    Last edited by h8l2; 03-22-2020 at 05:15 AM.

Is this because the colours seem muted? I was experimenting with this issue recently. In my case it was because Photoshop was opening the file with an sRGB view and ArtRage uses the colour space of my monitor RGB. In Photoshop, under view, check the proof settings - does it go back to what you were seeing in ArtRage if you select monitor RGB?

Thanks NickBussy, it's a great help

Yep, ArtRage is notoriously unbothered by color profiles. You need to import into other software with the monitor's profile attached and then convert to whatever profile you need it to be. (like ARGB, or sRGB)
    One really annoying thing is that reference images are not color managed in AR, so everything will be displayed in your monitor's profile, even smaller color space images like sRGB. (which of course blows out the colors into a garish mess)
    People with wide gamut monitors, or just those wishing it properly managed color profiles, are out of luck with AR.

I think so...

Colormanagement is a much more extensive theme than what you are talking about here. At first you need calibrated Hardware for reliable color display. That means, that you should calibrate your monitor, your printer, your scanner and so on by using a Colorimeter or by engageing a professional to do so. If you open an image in Photoshop or another image processing program, you should answer the color profile warning to keep the embedded profile. For example Adobe RGB 1998 is a bigger color profile than sRGBs (there are more than one sRGBs existing and more than one RGB - for example Adobe RGB, several ECI RGBs and so on - RGB is just the colorspace, not the profile) and the color tones of different profiles are not really congruent to each other. And if you want to print your image professionally, you have to convert it to a CMYK-Profile. That is because RGB is the color space for the colors of light (additive color mixing) - CMYK is the color space for bodycolors or material colors (don't know the right englisch word for it, sorry - anyway it is the subtractive color mixing). The basic colors of RGB are red, green and blue, the basic colors of CMYK are cyan, magenta and yellow (and the "Keycolor" black for deeper dark tones). For Art Prints the CMYK-Profile often isn't comprehensive enough, so that the professional Printers use additional special color tones, that are more brilliant. This unfortunately makes printing much more expensive.

Sorry, it is not easy for me to declare this in english, because it is not my native language.

I know... I have a calibrated hardware too. I think if AR aims to be a professional painting program and not only a joke must have color profile options.

Shure, it would be great if Artrage would offer color management - it would also be fine if it would make my bed and cook my coffee in the morning - but it is not useless or "a joke", just because it doesn't. In fact it is really cool software with many amazing functions and opportunities. And I am shure, that it will become even better in the future. Look, if you do analog painting, the only color management you have is that one, the color fabricants offer, and the one in your head. If you want to print your painting or publish it via the internet, you will have to digitalize it. That means, you have to scan it or make a photograph of it. All fabricants of Scanners, Printers, Monitors, Cameras etc. have their own color profiles. So you have to be careful and to do some adjustments to get the colors you want to have. For such things once Photoshop was made. And if you want to make professional Art Printings of your works, I would suggest, you should let professionals do the color convertion to CMYK, because the choice of the right color profile depends on the sort of paper that will be used for printing. And CMYK can't reproduce all colors of RGB, because it is a much smaller and not fully congruent color space.

I don't know many other painting programs than Artrage. Just Krita and MyPaint. Krita offers color management (even CMYK-Convertion), but it is a hybrid between a painting program and an image processing software. MyPaint doesn't have color management. I'm not not shure if color management is even the purpose of a painting software. I'm affraid it could possibly affect on the performance of the painting process. So I think, that I prefer to do the color mangement with an image processing software after painting. Anyway, for professional printing all images will be proofed and optimized, before the reproduction process will be started.
    Last edited by Somerset; 04-25-2020 at 10:43 PM.

I know all you have said, but I want to use it in a professional, calibrated and production environment, and yes, AR is a beautiful painting program, also Rebelle is, but both are unuseful in a production pipeline. Nor a serious and professional digital painting purpose. Please don't explain the color management process, and the color spaces and it's gamut. It's obvious.

I have bought it because it's fine, but I only use it for fun, in example Rebelle has much better watercolor engine, but also is unuseful because it eats all the RAM of the machine in just a second if you plan to do something that deserves to be printed in example 40x40" with an acceptable DPI, AR supports very well huge resolutions(about 16.000 x 9000 px, and that is perfect, but if it fails in the color management it is unuseful.

If you work in 1080 and don't mind the result but the monitor and to show it to your friends it's fine, but both are a joke for a serious work in example in animation films production.

I hope AD solves this problem soon, and improve the watercolor engine. A mix between AR and Rebelle both working fine would be the greatest painting program ever.

Don't be confused, I love AR, but this problem is big.

I agree with you that it would be great if this could be realised. But I am not shure if it is technically possible at the moment. What painting programs do you know, that are able to do so? I am actually working on a painting with a size of 4960 x 7016, meant to be printed as an art print (otherwise a much lower resolution would be high enough). It's a huge amount of data the computer has to handle, but it fortunatly works, almost without lags, with my Gaming PC that I bought two years ago, especially for painting and image processing - not for gaming. Pixel Art needs verry much power, especially in large formats and with sofisticated color depths and so on. I think, only a minority of users has so mighty computers that are able to handle such sofisticated tasks as you are longing for. Maybe I am wrong, but for me Artrage is a verry satisfying tool. I don't know anything better. And for all the few things I miss in it, I have additional software.