Thread: Color profile

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Color profile

Hello!,

I am working in ArtRage to paint and photoshop to finish the image, and I see very important color changes when ArtRage exports a PSD file. This is a big problem for me, cause I can't see "real" finished colors when painting.

Thanks.
    Last edited by h8l2; 03-22-2020 at 06:15 AM.

Is this because the colours seem muted? I was experimenting with this issue recently. In my case it was because Photoshop was opening the file with an sRGB view and ArtRage uses the colour space of my monitor RGB. In Photoshop, under view, check the proof settings - does it go back to what you were seeing in ArtRage if you select monitor RGB?

Thanks NickBussy, it's a great help

Yep, ArtRage is notoriously unbothered by color profiles. You need to import into other software with the monitor's profile attached and then convert to whatever profile you need it to be. (like ARGB, or sRGB)
    One really annoying thing is that reference images are not color managed in AR, so everything will be displayed in your monitor's profile, even smaller color space images like sRGB. (which of course blows out the colors into a garish mess)
    People with wide gamut monitors, or just those wishing it properly managed color profiles, are out of luck with AR.

I think so...

Colormanagement is a much more extensive theme than what you are talking about here. At first you need calibrated Hardware for reliable color display. That means, that you should calibrate your monitor, your printer, your scanner and so on by using a Colorimeter or by engageing a professional to do so. If you open an image in Photoshop or another image processing program, you should answer the color profile warning to keep the embedded profile. For example Adobe RGB 1998 is a bigger color profile than sRGBs (there are more than one sRGBs existing and more than one RGB - for example Adobe RGB, several ECI RGBs and so on - RGB is just the colorspace, not the profile) and the color tones of different profiles are not really congruent to each other. And if you want to print your image professionally, you have to convert it to a CMYK-Profile. That is because RGB is the color space for the colors of light (additive color mixing) - CMYK is the color space for bodycolors or material colors (don't know the right englisch word for it, sorry - anyway it is the subtractive color mixing). The basic colors of RGB are red, green and blue, the basic colors of CMYK are cyan, magenta and yellow (and the "Keycolor" black for deeper dark tones). For Art Prints the CMYK-Profile often isn't comprehensive enough, so that the professional Printers use additional special color tones, that are more brilliant. This unfortunately makes printing much more expensive.

Sorry, it is not easy for me to declare this in english, because it is not my native language.