Thread: # 49 The Larry's ,Friends Closer Than A Brother

# 49 The Larry's ,Friends Closer Than A Brother

I finally finished with my latest painting. It is of the last time my brother in laws, Larry Wayne and Larry Gene were together at Christmas. Larry Wayne passed away from lung cancer the following year .Larry Wayne has the cap on.Name:  #49 Lary and Larry.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  60.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by shellcrackerjr View Post
    I finally finished with my latest painting. It is of the last time my brother in laws, Larry Wayne and Larry Gene were together at Christmas. Larry Wayne passed away from lung cancer the following year .Larry Wayne has the cap on.Name:  #49 Lary and Larry.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  60.2 KB
    just a question... Why did you have different color on the hands and face on the right person?

Always hard to loose a friend especially when they were that close. Nice tribute. You still get to spend a little bit of time with him this way. Good to see you painting again.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

hand color

the reason is I just forgot to change it. One thing I learned using the color sampler on a reference sometimes the colors you pick just do not look right. The hands had a lot of darker shade. I should of used the same colors as the face. Here is one where I did that. Name:  #56 teresa  jb mom.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  45.8 KB Here is the image I used.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	51453496_906974646359084_5936574049311260672_n.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	72.8 KB 
ID:	98794

Quote Originally Posted by shellcrackerjr View Post
    the reason is I just forgot to change it. One thing I learned using the color sampler on a reference sometimes the colors you pick just do not look right. The hands had a lot of darker shade. I should of used the same colors as the face. Here is one where I did that. Name:  #56 teresa  jb mom.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  45.8 KB Here is the image I used.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	51453496_906974646359084_5936574049311260672_n.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	72.8 KB 
ID:	98794
    The color picker is just a indication.. it doesn't look good just to take the colors of a picture I notice.. it's just precise when you zoom in really much.. still it can be different shades . Depending on the resolution of the reference also. Your eyes are better color pickers
    Last edited by danny72; 03-16-2020 at 11:10 PM.

About the color picker coming up with a strange color that doesn't seem to match what your eye sees:

When you zoom way in down to the pixel level, you will see that it is actually made up of a bunch of odd colors that blend together when you zoom out so to your eye it looks right in the picture. Very much the same as in printing when you take a magnifying glass to look at a color page of the comics in the newspaper.

So what likely happens is that the color picker picks up one of those tiny squares of color that were never intended to be seen by themselves in the picture.

That's why you need to perhaps try a few times at sampling to get something closer to what you want, and even then you may have to adjust it to your eye on the palette.

It's a pain, I know. But it's the mechanics of digital.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream