Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spring Robin WIP

Spring Robin WIP

Spring robin. ArtRage 6. work in progress. It's been a while. I've been away for some time due to layoff and having to move and resettle and getting into a new graphics career. I've mostly been concentrating on traditional oil paintings and drawings, but I've missed using my favorite digital painting software, ArtRage. I just upgraded to ArtRage 6 and I'm really loving what I'm seeing. I've already transferred all my old art supplies that I've collected and installed them.

Here, I'm working on a digital painting of a robin that we see each Spring in a small tree just outside my window. I'm very happy to get back into ArtRage.

Enjoy!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Spring Robin_AR_Dale Jackson_WIP_1.jpg 
Views:	321 
Size:	209.5 KB 
ID:	99020

Good to see you back with us Dale
    That’s got a really nice “real paint” feel to it.
    A change in subject from your aircraft, but still flying related I suppose!
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram

Thank you! Actually, yes, I've shifted subjects for a bit of time, just so that I don't get stuck into a rut. In reality, in my professional work now, I am a research artist and deal with planes all the time, even creating 3D model mockups and concept art and video production (I wear many artistic hats).

When I get home, often, I just like to look away from the aviation, often to other subjects such as flora and fauna, landscapes and seascapes. Recently, I just finished a traditional oil painting of my cat!! LOL! I know it's not digital, it's oil on canvas, but my point is, that I love the look of traditional mediums and I try to replicate that when I go digital.

Name:	Portrait of a Cat_Small.jpg 
Views:	328 
Size:	116.9 KB 
ID:	99021

Excellent start. Cant wait to see how the robin turns out!

Quote Originally Posted by DarkOwnt View Post
    Excellent start. Cant wait to see how the robin turns out!
    Thank you! here's an update, working more on the body, feathers and nest.

Name:	Robin in Spring_WIP_2.jpg 
Views:	282 
Size:	210.9 KB 
ID:	99040

Even unfinished the bird is beautiful! Of course I just love the cat - lovely rich colours.
    June.

Oh God of homeless things, look down
    And try to ease the way
    Of all the little weary paws
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

http://enug66.deviantart.com/gallery/

[My setup: hp 15in laptop,11th Gen Intel Core i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz 2.70 GHz, 8.00 GB RAM, 24in Acer 2nd monitor, Huion Kamvas 20 Pro display tablet, Windows 11, ArtRage Vitae.
    My painting real-estate is extended across three monitors.]

Quote Originally Posted by Enug View Post
    Even unfinished the bird is beautiful! Of course I just love the cat - lovely rich colours.
    Thank you! Slowly getting there

Hi StratoArt!

I like both of the paintings. The colours and their smooth, creamy look are beautyfull. And the way you focus on the figures and blur the background is verry nice. Magic! There is just a tiny issue I see in the cats fur, where the point is visible where you finished the painting with the Fur-Brush. No big thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Somerset View Post
    Hi StratoArt!

I like both of the paintings. The colours and their smooth, creamy look are beautyfull. And the way you focus on the figures and blur the background is verry nice. Magic! There is just a tiny issue I see in the cats fur, where the point is visible where you finished the painting with the Fur-Brush. No big thing.

Thanks! But kind of hard to do digitally as that painting of the cat was done as a real traditional oil painting, it's not digital.

I only used it as an example that I work both digital and traditional ways and was amplifying the fact that I like my digital paintings to have similar characteristics as a real oil painting - My oil painting of my cat done with W&N Alkyd fast-drying physical oils and brushes is an example.
    Technically speaking, I don't like using specialized "fur" brushes too much. What I try to do if I approach a painting that has fur in it is to emulate a brush that I use traditionally such as: rounds, flats, filberts and rigging and others.

Here's my timelapse of me working on my cat painting - I try to take the same kind of approach with my digital paintings, so I design some of my own brushes to match the ones I use traditionally (rounds, filberts, flats, rigging)

Last edited by StratoArt; 06-04-2020 at 04:26 AM.

That's verry interesting. And also suprising. There is this spot on the left side of the cat's chest that looks exactly like a fur-brush at the end of the stroke. Seems that you did that intentional. Maybe just to confuse people like me?

I'm not sure if I like working with fur-brushes. I'm still experimenting with it. But it's an interesting new toy for me. I never painted with oil. Most time I used the airbrush with acrylic colours, made ink-drawings and some mixed-media-experiments before I started digital painting. I love traditional painting, but there is a little Explorer lurking in me sowhere deep inside, always searching for something new. One of my main interests is comic art, focused on graphic novels.

Thanx verry much for the video and the explaination! Really interesting and good work!