Thread: The color picker tool picks incorrect colors from a reference image?

The color picker tool picks incorrect colors from a reference image?

Hi guys, can someone help me with this issue with Artrage 6? Since it is easier to show, and to avoid reply and guessing, I recorded a video and post it on a Youtube. Please check it and tell me if you know what is a problem.

LINK: youtu.be/YAzG_c60RPQ

NOTE: Video is not public, so only people with the link on this forum can see it. I work on macOS Mojave 10.14.6 and Wacom Intuos 5 Pro(S).

Just in case, here is my panels setup for color picker tool and canvas:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	setup-artrage.jpg 
Views:	285 
Size:	126.8 KB 
ID:	98741
    Last edited by LastPixelBorn; 03-08-2020 at 02:34 AM.

Hello LastPixelBorn and welcome to the ArtRage forums
    Thanks for the screenshots and video! Always so much better than relying just on words!
    Sadly, whilst I would love to be able to say why that is happening for you, unfortunately so far I can in no way reproduce what you are seeing there.

But I do have of some more questions!
    Which exact version of ArtRage6 are you using?
    Dose this happen when using a mouse or trackpad instead of the Wacom?
    And do you have the latest Wacom Mac driver: 6.3.38-3
    Also…
    Dose this “offset” happen when sampling colours from different parts of the actual painting?
    Is this happening with just this reference image or other reference images?
    Is this happening in just this painting? or all paintings?
    Is your screen a Retina screen?.
    Is it a second connected monitor, comparable to a Retina screen or with higher or lower pixel density?
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by markw View Post
    Hello LastPixelBorn and welcome to the ArtRage forums
    Thanks for the screenshots and video! Always so much better than relying just on words!
    Sadly, whilst I would love to be able to say why that is happening for you, unfortunately so far I can in no way reproduce what you are seeing there.

But I do have of some more questions!
    Also…
    Dose this “offset” happen when sampling colours from different parts of the actual painting?
    Is this happening in just this painting? or all paintings?
    Is it a second connected monitor, comparable to a Retina screen or with higher or lower pixel density?
    -----

Thanks for reply, I hope this will help to resolve this issue:

6.1.1 - 64bit

With a trackpad, with apple magic mouse and with Wacom art pen on Intuos 5 small

Wacom panel says driver is up to date (6.3.38-3)

Yes, but only inside of the area with reference images.

Yes, also on other reference images.

Is this happening in just this painting? or all the paintings?
    It happens only with reference images, tested with the two reference images on two different ArtRage files. But, if I import image to a layer, or paste the same reference image shown in the video to layer (as a part of a layer), then the color picker tool works fine while picking colors directly from layer (also that is my workaround at the moment).

Yes, I work on MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013). If you need exact hardware specs, you can search it by serial number: C02M50TCFD57

Is it a second connected monitor, comparable to a Retina screen or with higher or lower pixel density?[/QUOTE]
    I work only on laptop 15" retina screen, no other displays connected.
    Last edited by LastPixelBorn; 03-08-2020 at 01:19 PM.

Thanks for the extra info, much appreciated
    Unfortunately I still can’t replicate what’s happening to you.
    I would suggest you contact Ambient Design directly about this.
    Give them all the info you have provided here and possibly a link to this forum thread too.
    Support page: https://www.artrage.com/get-support/
    Or by email: [email protected]
    Hope they can discover the cause and get it sorted for you soon.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    On Instagram

Thanks for the help, I just sent them complete info with links. I hope they will found a way to fix it.

And, what will happens if you just import the same ref. image into a layer and sample the same point w the color picker?

problem on Mac

Hey, guys,

I'm on Mac and I have a problem to change the color samples from several menus such as paint or photoshop for example. It must come from a badly set up but I'm afraid to do something wrong. If you could tell me if you have ever had this problem I would be very grateful!

As I have my own business related to the digital art world, you will understand that it will penalize me quickly...

Thank you in advance,

Gale

Quote Originally Posted by gale077 View Post
    Hey, guys,

I'm on Mac and I have a problem to change the color samples from several menus such as paint or photoshop for example. It must come from a badly set up but I'm afraid to do something wrong. If you could tell me if you have ever had this problem I would be very grateful!

As I have my own business related to the digital art world, you will understand that it will penalize me quickly...

Thank you in advance,

Gale
    Hello Gale and welcome to the ArtRage forums
    OK, I’m really sorry here but from your description I’m not too sure what you are trying to do
    1: Are you wanting to import into ArtRage a set of colour samples from Photoshop or another similar painting program?
    Or;
    2: Are you just not sure how to change between different sample sets that are already in ArtRage

Unfortunately ArtRage can not import colour samples from other apps or indeed access any colour pallets stored on your computer at a System level, ie the macOS ColorPicker tool.
    AR uses it’s own internal files to store colour sample sets. And these files end with the file extension; .col
    To bring in a specific colour set from another app you will need to bring into AR an image that contains all the colours that you want as a 'Reference Image' and then sample the colours from there in turn using AR’s Colour Sampler tool.
    You can read more detailed info on how to do this here: https://www.artrage.com/manuals/gett...olor-palettes/

I would also just mention here the Art Supplies section of the forums which has a lot of colour sample sets made and donated by many ArtRage users: https://forums.artrage.com/forumdisp...0-Art-Supplies
    Have fun learning the program and if you have more questions about ArtRage ask away!
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    On Instagram

Importing ref. images into a layer give you all of the color picker's features. The color picker's cursors is also rendered different on the ref. img vs. painting area (crosshair (one pixel sampling, IMHO ) vs. square (area sampling)).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pub-color2-rgCapture.JPG 
Views:	418 
Size:	156.8 KB 
ID:	99213  
    Last edited by roma Golich; 01-22-2021 at 12:12 AM.