Thread: The Old Port, Honfleur

The Old Port, Honfleur

Honfleur in Normandy is one of my favourite watering-holes, and I go there regularly - just a 30-minute car crossing on Le Shuttle tunnel service and a 3-hour drive from Calais. This painting, done almost exclusively with the oil brush on a rough canvas backing, is a sort of "large miniature" and packed with detail. One of the things I love about doing this kind of scene is that, while painting it, I'm transported - temporarily - to the scene and can conjure up the seafood, galettes, crépes, wine, Norman cider, the sounds of the port... Can't wait to get back there!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Honfleur Old Port.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	485.6 KB 
ID:	98706

My website: www.mikeainscoughart.co.uk
    Last edited by Mike A; 02-25-2020 at 03:08 AM.

Wow. Gotta love a watering hole that one can fit their yachts. Lots of watering to be had by all.

So did you use a filter between the blue and gray or did you do all that fiddly stuff by hand?
    With you I would suspect the latter, but it does have a designed sense to it.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Talking

Fiddly, by hand!

I put a basic wash over the whole area I wanted as the basis for the dark water, then "nibbled" away at the edges to get the profile that I wanted. I use the same technique for dense foliage with leaves outlined against the sky. The edges are less smooth and artificial - less painted in.
    Last edited by Mike A; 02-26-2020 at 09:46 PM.

Interesting how well you managed to keep the same vibe from one end to the other. Speaks well of your ability to stay in the zone over time going from one end to the other. You even did a smooth incremental right to left with the transition of angle and shape where the angle turns. The gradation works great.

Many would have just wanted to rush it through and would have lost the sense of the design at one point or other and spoiled the effect. Impressive focus.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Has logrado crear una obra maravillosa, y que a mí, además, me transmite tranquilidad y relax!!!
    Regards from Chile
    "El arte no reproduce lo visible. Lo hace visible" Paul Klee

Muchas gracias!