Thread: Printing work

Printing work

Dear all, I'm doubting about purchasing artrage for Windows 10. First I would like to know if it is possible to save images as JPEG so I can save high res images for printing. I saw a review that I would need additional programming to do so. Would love to hear from you. Thanks.

Yes, it saves as a jpeg, but it's through the command "Export".

Tell you what, you should download the trial version and just see what it does. You will know that way whether it's suitable for Windows10, which of course it is.

Other people will have the answers about the maximum resolution. I couldn't tell you since I don't do that kind of work.

Have fun with it.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Hello Natascha and welcome to the ArtRage forums
    As D Akey suggests do try the demo version of ArtRage first!
    It has no time limit for use, so you can explore it at your leisure.
    The main restriction is that you can not save or export your work.
    You can find out more here: https://www.artrage.com/demos/

In the unrestricted retail versions you can export your paintings in several image formats including jpeg, png, tiff and also Adobe’s PSD format.
    I’m not sure about you comment of needing “additional programming”?
    So I’m going to make a guess here and say that if professional printing of your paintings is your main intent then your images will most likely need to have a colour space assigned to them for accurate colour reproduction. And to do this you will need other software. (Although ArtRage doesn’t assign an actual colour space, the output is basically RGB).
    The exact colour space required however will depend on who and what is doing the printing for you. Good print companies will always tell you the image format/s they can work with and what colour space they need them to be in.
    On Macs you can use the built in OS app Preview for assigning a colour space to an image and I would think Windows would have a similar built in image viewing app capable of doing this too.
    Last edited by markw; 02-18-2020 at 12:44 AM.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram

Thanks

Thank you both so much for your answers. I didn't know I could try the demo version for so long. Certainly going to try it. Any of you have experience with printing of artwork made on tablet?

With respect to the actual printing of the final artwork, the device it's created with persay, isn’t too important.
    When making digital images for print the important thing is how big your canvas is in terms of pixel dimensions. If it’s too small then you may get blurry or pixelated prints at your desired printed size.
    As a quick example; I mostly work aiming to print at A3. Which means I will typically make the canvas size 3508px x 4961px with a dpi value of 300.
    Fortunately the canvas setup window in AR will tell you both pixel dimensions and what printed size to expect with any given dpi/ppi value.
    You can find more helpful info about this here:
    https://www.artrage.com/manuals/work...d-canvas-size/
    And here: https://www.artrage.com/manuals/the-...ick-reference/

The second important thing is colour accuracy between what you see on your screen and what is printed.
    The first step here is to have the colour accuracy of your screen properly calibrated. And if you are making images primarily for printing I would say this is a must.
    I use a SpyderX Pro made by Datacolor for doing this but there are other good colour calibrator makes available.
    But bear in mind that sadly not all screens are created equal regarding the range or gamut of colours that they can physically produce and this will limit the effectiveness of any screen calibration.

Both the above areas are huge and at times complicated subjects to get to grips with. But you don’t need to know it all, inside out, strait away!
    But do take the time to research these areas further as it will be time well spent.
    The Tutor Tanith site is an old site now, but much of the info there is still relevant regarding getting digital work out into the real world. It’s presented in an accessible manner and is still worth a look:
    About image size: http://www.tutortanith.com/imagesizing.htm
    About image colours: http://www.tutortanith.com/imagecolor1.htm
    Hope some of this is will be of help to you in your coming adventures in digital painting
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Natascha View Post
    Thank you both so much for your answers. I didn't know I could try the demo version for so long. Certainly going to try it. Any of you have experience with printing of artwork made on tablet?
    I do. Export as a .TIFF or any other format with lossless compression. Bare in mind that most home printers are made to print out documents and not art. If you need quality prints, you will need to consult a professional printer who may have explicit directions on file size, type and color space. With all due respect to every copy center worker out there, do not take it to a copy center either. You need somebody with calibrated equipment.

If you want museum quality grade, there are many options, I use Epson HDX inks over Hahnemuhle paper, the results are absolutely amazing. It's a bit expensive but deserves the pain.