Thread: adding mood with blend mode layers

adding mood with blend mode layers

Name:  blendmode.png
Views: 1117
Size:  93.9 KB
    Sometimes I enjoy adding some mood to a panel in my webcomic and will play around with a solid color layer between my color layer and ink layer. By separating the black outline of the picture, I ensure a good dark inked effect. After using my colors I standardized for my character, I can that insert a solid block of color over the color layer (in this example, red, to give more of an angered feel to follow the script) and playing with the blend mode of that layer, I come up with some interesting effects. Image 1 shows the original panel, red solid color layer is turned off. Image 2 the red layer is turned visible at 100 percent. Image 3 the red solid layer is set to 93 percent and the blend mode is changed to saturation. Not all blend modes will work good, but you can come up with a variety of effects and moods this way. Try using other solid colors, like yellow or blue. Change the blend mode to overlay. Change the visibility percent to lesson the effect. Erase part of the solid color off that layer to mask the effect from the original color. Fun to play around with and the results can surprise you.

Alright, wow. This is awesome. What an easy way to make a huge impact. And I love your art.

Thank you David for the good suggestions. I'm going to have fun
    and try some of this.
    Abby-Helen