Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Palette Knife not blending

Palette Knife not blending

Is it possible for a tool to become corrupted?

My Palette Knife tool (using default settings) is no longer blending or moving colour at all.
    I've tried a new painting, tried resetting the tool preset to "default settings", then tried dragging the Pressure slider to 100.

Tried using my Wacom Intus tablet and tried just using my mouse.

Ok something is definately bugged.
    I have a painting where the only medium is Chalk.
    Then i use the Palette Knife to blend colour, but almost nothing happens no matter how I set the Pressure.
    But then i can hit a small area of the picture where the Palette Knife turns the Chalk into Oil Paint.

I didn't use Oil Paint at all so this is just what the Palette Knife tool is doing.

I was using ArtRage5 but i have uninstalled it, installed ArtRage6 and the behavior is the same.
    How is that possible?

I confess I have never come across anything like this before
    Is it only the pallet knife that is misbehaving?
    What canvas settings do you have? If it’s somehow got changed to something really smooth, for example like the settings used by the Cel preset, then the knife is less effective.
    Your second post sounds almost as though the knife’s Pressure and Loading are somehow resetting themselves as you work
    Are you able to post some screenshots of settings etc... or make a screen recording of this happening? It would possibly be helpful to see exactly what you are seeing?
    From your posts I see that you have tried all the things I would have suggested already! Apart from restarting your system?
    Have you tried that?
    And dose this still happen in a new painting with default tools after you have rebooted?
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram

Any recommendations for a screen recorder program (Windows) that is free?

Ok i found one and it looks like it's working ok.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!An4TIiBt2x9fmCgN...vwYWp?e=HKEd1q

First thing i do is set Canvas and Chalk and Knife settings to defaults, including presets.
    Then i draw 2 lines using Wax, then try blending with Knife, then try cranking up the Pressure on Knife to 100.

Then i draw 2 lines with Chalk and repeat the same, with same result.

Then i move the "loading" slider on the Knife all the way to 100 and try to blend, it looks like Oil Paint.

Thanks for doing the video so quickly, always good to see what’s happening. Much appreciated.
    So to the easy answer first regarding the Oil Paint being laid down at the end there. That’s perfectly normal and to be expected.
    The Pallet Knife will always put down oil paint when it is given any amount of loading.

As to your main problem of no apparent blending of the wax and chalk, like you, I’m still stumped!!!
    Attached here is a screenshot of a test I did today with default settings and it works as expected.
    You can also download that file here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zx59i7ocmo...s.ptg.zip?dl=0
    First, without adding any more wax/chalk, can you blend what’s already on the canvas?
    Then if you add wax/chalk, can you blend them?

Also will the knife blend any other media types correctly for you, like Oil paint etc…?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Knife_Blending_Tests.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	135.1 KB 
ID:	98527
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    On Instagram

I'm not able to blend the lines you put down.
    https://1drv.ms/v/s!An4TIiBt2x9fmCkw...uWubA?e=fr5r6O

But i am able to blend a little when i add color.
    However tbh i am accustomed to more blending power using the Palette Knife than this.

Hum, interesting… thanks for trying that.
    Though I fear it raises more puzzles than answers;
    Your Knife seems to be acting on my lines more like an Eraser
    Why can’t you effect the lines I made but can now smudge the two red marks you just made And why didn’t they blend with my lines
    (I don't think I've ever used so many emojis in one post before!)

I think the best advice I can give now would be for you to contact support directly about this issue.
    You can email them here: [email protected]
    Or use the Support page here: https://www.artrage.com/get-support/

When contacting them give as much initial info as you can regarding;
    ArtRage version/s exhibiting this behavior for you.
    Which OS platform & version you are using.
    Hardware setup and specs.
    Input methods tried. (ie; Mouse, Tablet etc…)
    It might also be helpful if you include a link to this forum thread as well, just so they can see some backstory.

Really wish I could offer a solution here and now, but sorry I can’t.
    Do report back though once it’s sorted, would love to know if it’s something simple we both overlooked or is a deeper problem?
    Good luck
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    On Instagram

You have version 6.05 of the program. It seems that the palette knife has not yet been fixed in this version. Take the latest update 6.12

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zarucki View Post
    You have version 6.05 of the program. It seems that the palette knife has not yet been fixed in this version. Take the latest update 6.12
    I was using version 5 something (upgraded version) when the problem suddenly started happening yesterday.
    I just upgraded to 6.12 and it's blending the lines in markw's file now.
    https://1drv.ms/v/s!An4TIiBt2x9fmCp-...78sI6?e=AkF9CX

I think it's working now.

It's still different though then what i expect and maybe i'll have to change my painting technique now.
    Been using the same painting technique with Chalk and Knife since version 4 so i don't really understand how it can be different all of a sudden.
    Anyway thanks for looking and suggesting things.