Thread: Whitstable interior

Whitstable interior

This illustration is an exercise in light and textures, and is the interior of an Edwardian house in Whitstable, Kent - facing the sea, mid-morning. I used oil as the base for most of the areas, then did a lot of airbrush texturing for most of the surfaces. The rug/carpet was done with a pastel finish, and the chandelier with ink and pastel.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Whitstable interior.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	333.9 KB 
ID:	98406
    Last edited by Mike A; 01-13-2020 at 10:44 PM.

Spotless job there, Mike. Very crisp. Like I could walk into it and have a sit. But where's the guitars? I'd even settle for a tenor or maybe could do ten and six.

Very nice lighting. I like the saturation. Feels bright and cheery. But what's happening through the door in the kitchen? We being visited by a vision or some such?
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

No visions or aliens... Just another side window with light streaming into the dividing corridor between the kitchen and the lounge.

If you don't mind the suggestion, you can still get that bright light effect by indicating the planes and a little more if it needs it. It feels more complete when you do. Just keep it in the very light range and you're home. . . or in Whitstable. Hanging onto the photo reference too tightly brings the weaknesses over into the painting as well as all the good stuff. The value of being an artist fills in and makes the blind see and the lame walk, say Hallelujah!
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Good suggestions - thanks!

Awesome, but where is the cat? Need a cat in the window. Just kidding, wonderful work!