Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are there any known issues with Brush Designer in ArtRage 6 compared to 5 ?

Question Are there any known issues with Brush Designer in ArtRage 6 compared to 5 ?

I just purchased AR6 (Windows, desktop) and upon entering the Brush Designer it does not operate at all well. The brush strokes are very small even at max size. I went back to AR5 and all was as expected. I tried to create exact same state in AR6 before opening Brush Designer and still it does not work properly.

I am in the early stages of documenting this before I write to Ambient Design support directly, but I was wondering if anyone else has the same issue. Preferably you have AR5 and 6 so that you can open and try Brush Designer in both.

Hello lensman,
    I’m on a Mac and the Brush Designer in both AR5 & 6 are working as expected here.
    This may be an issue specific to Windows users, although I can’t recall other users posting about this specific problem here. Or it might perhaps be something that’s specific to your system
    Name:  AR5.png
Views: 5075
Size:  242.4 KBClick image for larger version. 

Name:	AR6.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	36.5 KB 
ID:	98335
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by markw View Post
    Hello lensman,
    I’m on a Mac and the Brush Designer in both AR5 & 6 are working as expected here.
    This may be an issue specific to Windows users, although I can’t recall other users posting about this specific problem here. Or it might perhaps be something that’s specific to your system
    Thanks for that. I'm going to be doing a lot of testing with this today.

Well, I thought it had corrected itself. Shut off system last night (after install of AR6) and when I re-started today the problem had resolved. But, no. Brush Designer works fine if that is the first thing I go into when opening the programme. But if I do so much as one stroke on the canvas and then go back to Brush Designer it doesn't work. No strokes appear in the testing area....
    Last edited by lensman; 12-31-2019 at 02:18 AM.

Well, it may be an old bug fixing trick but it still has a place in this ever fast changing digital world
    I like simple fixes
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    On Instagram

So, I have discovered what the bug is and a workaround, but not ideal. Note that NONE of the below problems exist when using AR5 - ONLY with AR6.

I am using AR6 on a PC with Win10 AND a Wacom Cintiq 16. If I only use AR on the PC there is no problem encountered. IF, however, I do any of the below this is when problems occur:

1) Select Brush Designer on the Cintiq and attempt to draw in the test area, nothing appears (EXCEPT if that is the first thing I do when opening programme)

2) ONLY use PC to paint and use Brush Designer all works as it should.

3) Select Brush Designer on Cintiq but go to PC then Brush Designer doesn't work there either. Exit Brush Designer on PC, make one stroke, return to Brush Designer and I can use Brush Designer on EITHER PC or Cintiq!

4) Paint on canvas on Cintiq. Select Brush Designer on PC and Brush Designer does not work on either.

5) Paint on canvas on Cintiq, select Brush Designer - does not work. Cancel. Draw one stroke on PC canvas. Select Brush Designer on Cintiq and it works there.

TLDR: So... if I want to use the Cintiq for all painting and Brush Designing I have to make sure that I do ONE FINAL click on the canvas on the PC using the mouse and then go straight to Brush Designer on the Cintiq. If I so much as touch the stylus to canvas and then go into Brush Designer it will not work again.

Well then, that’s definitely all worth sending a report to AR support about I would think.

On a perhaps related note, and as I’m not on Windows I’m curious, but can you tell me if after launching AR and the first time you select the Custom Brush can you actually paint with it?
    On my Mac the first time that I try to use the Custom Brush in any painting session it won’t work. I absolutely have to select an existing preset first before the Custom Brush will work. But after that it’s perfectly happy.
    Any other tool in AR will always remember it’s last used state and work after launching.
    I sent a report in about this but am curious as to whether others have experienced this too.
    Last edited by markw; 12-31-2019 at 04:39 AM.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    On Instagram

I think, I have a similar problem. I already postet it in this forum, but at the wrong place: under "Suggestions" (I'm not allowed to post the link). Sorry for that. It is ArtRage 6 too, on Windows 10. The Brush Designer seems to work pretty well so far, but the preview shows a much smoother, bleacher version of the brush stroke than that one, that will be painted on the canvas with this presets. Depending on the Brush, sometimes there is nothing to see at all. Totally different than in ArtRage 5.

I am having the same problem with the brush designer. The preview area draws empty. Would be glad to know if there is a solution. Windows 10 here as well. Would be great if you could draw the preview on the canvas. Like this the entire brush designer is useless (or a flight in the dark, to say it more softly).

I wouldn't say that the Brush Designer is useless. I really love it. It is just a little inconvenient, if the preview doesn't work correctly. But, as I just found out, it works perfectly in many cases. I just tried out some different Brush-Presets I created by myself. And sometimes it worked, sometimes not. It seems that it has nothing to do with the certain Presets and their adjustments. It seems like it happens randomly - as far as I can see. I don't think that it's a performance-problem, cause I am using a Gaming-PC. Seems to be a Bug.