Thread: Little Betley - video of a painting, layer by layer - ArtRage 6.0

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Little Betley - video of a painting, layer by layer - ArtRage 6.0

I'm doing a demo of ArtRage 6 to members of my local Art Club in the new year, and I'll be starting the evening off with this little video. If you're wondering who "Will Fly" is, that's my "handle" on YouTube.

The music is "The New Century Hornpipe" - played by me on tenor guitar and 6-string guitar. A composition by an American guitarist called Norman Blake.

Mike

Last edited by Mike A; 12-15-2019 at 10:40 PM.

You're Will Fly? No wonder you can play so well. When I first took up the guitar and was kicking around the internet for material and lessons and whatnot, I definitely came across your site. Must say a big thank you for posting all those downloadable sheet musics.

I must confess I've gone through fits and starts with the guitar. But your site was there visible showing your footprint, a guy who was very into the guitar and it was most encouraging for the moment I visited before I was sucked back into the virtual vortex. I'm now tackling the violin/fiddle so the guitar is just by the bed to putter a bit and give a sonic push start to me dreams.

Anyway, the music on this video is pretty sensational. Bravo! So what's the tenor guitar anyway? Just a smaller guitar? Can't say I've heard of it before. This piece has a bit of a chapel court, lute, classical vibe to my ear.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Ah - recognised by another name... :-)

The tenor guitar is a 4-string instrument, and there are two main tunings used for it. A lot of players tune it like a mandolin, but an octave below (GDAE), but I use "standard" tuning, which is that of a viola (CGDA). So the fiddle equates to a mandolin, and the viola equates to the tenor guitar. If you want to know more about the thing, you can check out this video:

The piece was written by old-time player Norman Blake, one of my favourite American acoustic players.

I've been tackling the violin for a few years now (!), and the trouble is, I practise for a bit, get reasonable - and then get sucked back into other things. My resolution for the new year is to get fiddling with a vengeance - when I'm not ArtRaging...
    Last edited by Mike A; 12-17-2019 at 02:05 AM.

How cool is that! Very illuminating. I had no idea.

Interesting about the tuning being like a viola, which I assume like a viola, it's a support and harmony kind of instrument for bridging other instruments or just supporting the lead tone if one has a range of instruments playing. I assume this from the little I gleaned from your video and what little I know about the overlap of the viola's tuning with the violins (and cello?).

Well, since I've never played with other musicians I have had zero contact with it, but will now keep a weather eye out for it.

Thanks!
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

I use the tenor guitar as a lead instrument - as opposed to a chordal instrument - and back it with 6-string guitar, and sometimes add some bass. It has a very sweet and lyrical tone, and it's CGDA tuning makes it good for playing in jazzy keys such as F and Bb. Take a peek at:

https://www.willflyguitar.com/honeysuckle-rose.html

Cheers,

Mike

Almost like the middle child in a family with older brothers Guitar and Bass and younger sisters Ukulele and Mandolin. I love it. Certainly less complicated and more room for looser lead picking on the fretboard. I would think you, being so adept at that general type of instrument you can really go to town with looping your own compliment to perfection. And forget about with other players. Must freshen up the usual couple of guitars sound. Fuller. I'm sure you would have bands happy to have you sit in for all the various possible combos.

Neat stuff, Mike!