Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Porthleven Harbour

Porthleven Harbour

I think this might be my first ever 'completed' painting - certainly the first completed in Artrage (on the iPad)
    I used a reference photo that I took in Porthleven Harbour, Cornwall, UK and approached this as a learning exercise to try and get familiar with the Application.

There are some parts of the picture that I am more happy with than others but overall it has come out OK I think. I appreciate that there is little in the way of artistic interpretation but I hope that creativity will follow after familiarity with the application?

Feedback, suggestions welcome.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0013.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	250.9 KB 
ID:	98268

Excellent work - the different textures of harbour wall stone, wooden boats and water are all rendered very well.

Mike A

Looks great to me. Very successful. I can almost smell the salt water.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Quote Originally Posted by D Akey View Post
    Looks great to me. Very successful. I can almost smell the salt water.
    Thanks for taking the time to comment. I should go ahead and paint it again to see if I can improve

Hi pixel state Yes I like. It. But the only thing to me is the wheel house which too my eyes. Wants a small touch to the left at the top ok
    But don’t take any.notice of. Me. As it’s just.as likely it’s My old.eyes. �� CIAO IVAYA CON DIOS. SLAINTE. PLOOS

This looks great, my only suggestion is to completely remove or cover up any traces of your sketch. Outlines which are not present in the subject can be distracting... one way to keep the lines out of your final work is to keep all sketches/outlines on separate layers... then just make them disappear when you no longer need them.

Again this looks great!!

Thanks Mike, appreciate the feedback

Quote Originally Posted by DarkOwnt View Post
    This looks great, my only suggestion is to completely remove or cover up any traces of your sketch. Outlines which are not present in the subject can be distracting... one way to keep the lines out of your final work is to keep all sketches/outlines on separate layers... then just make them disappear when you no longer need them.

Again this looks great!!
    Yes. Thanks for the feedback, that's good advice. I have tried my hand at Watercolor in the past (not digital) and am used to seeing the sketch lines show through..

Ah, my mistake.

To my eye it looked more like a great example of realism in a masterfully done oil painting. You are absolutely right about Watercolor renditions and the sketch lines showing through in many cases.

In the end it's all about what you want to achieve and having it look exactly how you want it to look!

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by DarkOwnt View Post
    Ah, my mistake.

To my eye it looked more like a great example of realism in a masterfully done oil painting. You are absolutely right about Watercolor renditions and the sketch lines showing through in many cases.

In the end it's all about what you want to achieve and having it look exactly how you want it to look!

Cheers!
    Exactly. This is actually an 'oil; painting.. so you are correct.. sketch lines would normally be hidden. I am learning the tool and can see the advantage of using layers to control this better.
    I might have a go at re-painting to see what (if anything) I have learned..

My main challenge is time. I have been approaching this painting 10-15 minutes at a time at the end of the day. It would be better to take a hour at a time I think to get into the flow of painting.