Thread: Bamburgh Castle from the beach

Bamburgh Castle from the beach

Bamburgh Castle is on the north-east coast of England, in Northumberland, and dates from Norman times. The beach is long, beautiful and quiet, with spectacular views of the sketch. This illustration is based on a sketch I took from the beach, with photos as backup (!) last year.

I only used the oil brush and palette knife for this illustration. I usually work with a combination of ink, pastel and airbrush, so this was a new Artrage venture for me. The sky/clouds, the grass area and the beach were laid on thickly and then blended with the palette knife. The "oil" was then thinned down 66% and the rest of the illustration added in layers. I set the canvas to rough to give it that oil painting feel...

Mike

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bamburgh Castle.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	420.4 KB 
ID:	98252

Very good work and the castel is fabulous
    Visit my website here

Thankyou, Sabena - appreciated.

I really love Your style. For a junior member You already consistently master ArtRage.
    This outcome seem so similar to an Italian artist quite famous, in particula here in Rome, for his limited numbered lythographs of picturesque southern villages landscapes.
    Have a look here if You wish:
    https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...w=1280&bih=913
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Thankyou Caesar - that's very encouraging. I've drawn and painted all my life - on and off - but I particularly like to get to grips with the different things that ArtRage brings. I love the way that media can be mixed, and the use of layers is really, really useful. And nothing to clear up afterwards...

Thanks for the link to Aldo Riso's work - very appealing indeed.

Like a scene from the movie El Cid. I half expect to see the warring armies ready to go at it. Nice setting. The castle slipping over the horizon makes it feel distant in addition to the scale. Good stuff.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream