Thread: Nasty Multiply Blend Mode Bug

Nasty Multiply Blend Mode Bug

Multiply Blend Mode neuters the image, no paint stokes, not shine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ArtRageX.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	393.7 KB 
ID:	98166   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PixelmatorX.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	420.4 KB 
ID:	98165   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NoX.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	388.7 KB 
ID:	98167  

Hello kaveman,
    Hum… I’m having trouble reproducing what’s happening for you.
    Could you describe the steps required to make it happen in more detail?
    Dose it persist after a System restart?
    Also which version of AR are you using and on what OS?
    Dose it happen in just one particular project or in all projects always?
    Perhaps you could post a test file that consistently demonstrates the problem. You can’t post .ptg files here, so you would have to put a link here to it, on a file transfer site like Dropbox, etc…

I can reproduce something similar to what you describe but I have to say I don’t think someone would normally want to do this, though it could perhaps have happened by accident maybe?
    But it goes something like this...
    Place a new layer set to Multiply above the layers with paint texture.
    Set this new layer’s Bump Blend mode to Replace.
    Select the Flood fill tool and fill the layer with white paint.
    Everything bellow is still visible but it kills all the paint textures bellow.
    Last edited by markw; 11-02-2019 at 06:48 AM.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram

One thing to note, if you use PURE black to multiply with, it causes the underlayer to look as if you used pure black paint in it. i.e. it replicates using pure BLACK paint.

Pure black has subdued shine compared to other colors, and it cannot have prominent shadows in the strokes since black is as dark as it gets.

One possible solution is to use a dark grey rather than pure black.

Here is a simple version:

Layer 1 paint on with Oil Brush/Glitter/Tube with metallic set to 60
    Layer 2 fill with white > set to Multiply

macOS 10.14.6
    Artrage 6.1

"I don’t think someone would normally want to do this"

When coloring line art it is normal to use Multiply on the scanned line art layer. Normally the darker colors such as the line art is multiplied onto the lower layers without altering the colors of the lower layers. My bad for using Metallic paint I guess.

Ah, I understand now! Thank you
    I had not thought about imported scans, they are predominantly white! You are quite right, it is normal to set them to Multiply.
    One possible workaround for this then might be to use AR’s ‘Remove Colour Matte…’ filter so that you are just left with the line work from the imported scan and would therefore not need to use Multiply for that layer.
    The Filter can be found in AR5 and AR6 here; Edit > Filters > Remove Colour Matte…
    Depending on the quality of your scan you may need to run the filter more than once to remove all the background white if the paper/line work has a lot of colour/tonal variation.
    There’s more info about using it here: https://www.artrage.com/manuals/laye...e-color-matte/
    Last edited by markw; 11-04-2019 at 01:20 PM.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram

Thanks Mark, Yes, I have work arounds. I'll use another app to do the final composite. I'm coloring someone else's B/W work so I can't mess with that layer. I do the Flats in another app already, I guess at some point I have to wonder if the painting tools in AR are unique enough to warrent the extra work. I find working with on a document with 50+ layers arduous in AR too, especialy if you need to move them around, but that's another issue.

Quote Originally Posted by kaveman View Post
    Multiply Blend Mode neuters the image, no paint stokes, not shine.
    are those images taken from artrage canvas during painting, or after saving/exporting your file as something else?
    I've had this issue with artrage paintings exported as .psd with exactly same layer arrangement you have going on (flat white + lineart multiply layer on top of thick oil paint below);

I believe hiding the multiply layer before export did the trick for me, but alternatively, you can bake the lighting property into paint before exporting (color adjustment filter -> flatter layer to bitmap);
    the downside of this approach is that you might have to repeat it a number of times if you have many paint layers underneath the linework and can't merge them together for whatever reason.

hope this helps~
    Last edited by nekomata; 11-04-2019 at 08:35 PM.