Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AR6 Silver Container - Work In Progress

Fab D /O. Really must take a lot of time and steady hand.and the shapes are perfect. Congrats. CIAO. PLOOS SLAINTE

Increíble!!! Fabuloso!!! El efecto de la textura metálica que has logrado es impresionante! Felicitaciones...
    Regards from Chile
    "El arte no reproduce lo visible. Lo hace visible" Paul Klee

Thank you both eighty+ and damasoci for the words of encouragement!

I really could not have done this with any other software. The newest version of ArtRage (version 6) and its custom brush engine capable of paint depth (and an excellent blending engine) is perfect for achieving this.

Wow, that's amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Davaaris View Post
    Wow, that's amazing.
    Thanks Davaaris!

I really like how the metal was rendered and the over all presence of the container. The shadow seems a bit off but nothing too crazy. It's not even the shadow really, it's the massive black background and it's saturation level is competing with the shadow and they aren't really playing too nicely with one another. Maybe with another painting with dark background, take the time to paint it on with subtle gradient or just subtle differentiation in the surface so it doesn't not compete with the shadow so much. All in all, it's wonderful though. Looks like it was fun to make.

Interesting. I painted from the reference in the video (see the video link at 18 seconds in), and chose not to make any drastic changes.

When you say the shadow and the background are not playing too nicely what do you mean? I would be reluctant to change too much as it might make things look artificial... had I set up the still life though, you think it would be better to use a fill light (to brighten the shadow) or a light fabric instead of the dark background? Compositionally how would this be an improvement?

Thanks for the kind words.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkOwnt View Post
    Interesting. I painted from the reference in the video (see the video link at 18 seconds in), and chose not to make any drastic changes.

When you say the shadow and the background are not playing too nicely what do you mean? I would be reluctant to change too much as it might make things look artificial... had I set up the still life though, you think it would be better to use a fill light (to brighten the shadow) or a light fabric instead of the dark background? Compositionally how would this be an improvement?

Thanks for the kind words.
    The shadow's saturated nature in the field of mid tones steals the show. You could bring it down a bit or strengthen the highlight at the base of the container. Softening the gradient's shadow on it's receding edge may also dissipate the minor tension created by the alternating saturation levels of the table, background and shadow. I hope that's helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick_K View Post
    The shadow's saturated nature in the field of mid tones steals the show. You could bring it down a bit or strengthen the highlight at the base of the container. Softening the gradient's shadow on it's receding edge may also dissipate the minor tension created by the alternating saturation levels of the table, background and shadow. I hope that's helpful.
    Hmm. So I am now noticing a few things.

1. The shadow is not correct. The shape could be bumped more towards reality, the gradient on the top should be softened, and a soft gradient added to extend to the right.

2. Although, I have artificially controlled my edges and added a bit of an overall gradient to help with composition and draw the eye to the canister, I note that the table edge between the background and the shadow is at its sharpest, and possibly its brightest. This combined with the darkness of the shadow creates a "feature" in that strip of table which draws the eye.

So, an area which is somewhat unimportant and also a bit off is grabbing some attention from the rest of the canister.

I have done a composition based rework before... perhaps I will touch this one up also.

Thank you for bringing a fresh eye and bringing this to my attention.