Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Artrage vs Corel Painter?

Artrage vs Corel Painter?

I'm curious what the major differences are between these two programs and why there is such a massive price difference.

I have been using Artrage for a long long time and love it. But I see Painter 2019 is in a Humble Bundle along with some other programs for $25. Wondering if it has any features or differences that would make it worth the extra expense? What does each do better or worse than the other?

Also I'm currently using AR5.

painter has a free 30 day trial that you can download and use without any restrictions after you've registered it.

as far as I remember, there were no major differences between painter 2019 and 2020, some performance improvements only.

painter's $25 price-tag is a good deal if you like what you see in the trial; makes me assume they've thrown a dated release on sale hoping to bring back users that left corel for its low-cost competitor, paintstorm.

I'm not an experienced digital painter ... tried Painter 2017 and removed it because I could not turn off the annoying pop-ups from Corel.

There was something in preferences that allowed you to stop pop-ups ... it did not work.

Painter is good for photo painting, especially if you are a photographer and want to give your photos a painter effect. 3D renders can also be used instead of a photograph.

ArtRage is better for freehand sketching and painting as it has a much better performance then Painter 2019. I own both and enjoy both. There is also a lite version of Painter ala Painter Essentials that costs about $49 USA.

Well, here I go....I paid for Painter 2019, and it worked very well. Then, I tried the trial version of 2020. At the end of the 30 day trial period I discovered that my already-paid-for 2019 had been deactivated and cannot be used. Corel Corp has gotten their last dime from me. I will never use Painter again, which is a pity. I will now start the learning curve for Art Rage.

And please don't think that I hate Painter. I've used it since it was Fractal Design in 1993. Love the program, Hate Corel's corporate piracy BS.

Have you contacted Corel about your issue? I'd be surprised if they can't help you re-enable Painter 2019 if it's a legit purchase and the trial has caused it to deactivate.

Just incase anyone else in interested in the app, the Painter 2019 Humble Bundle has been reactivated (has 3 days left) which would mean you can snap it up for $25. I've had a tinker and it seems pretty powerful (loads of options) but I feel it lacks the immediacy and intuitiveness of ArtRage. Maybe an app to grow into?

Nah, I'm done with Corel...

Trying to Delete... this post... help...
    Last edited by JohnKon; 12-02-2019 at 08:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Turner View Post
    Nah, I'm done with Corel...
    I tried Corel Painter's 2020 and decided to stick with my 2019 version. I've had no issues with my 2019 getting deactivated. In fact, after reading this, I even did a uninstall/reinstall, and had no issues. Bertrude is correct. If you have a legit copy and especially if you registered your copy of Painter (Serial #'s will be on your Corel Account Page - Same as Ambient Design recommends), I would call support.
    FYI... Corel's Support Personnel are horrible! They're in India, paid crap & don't care at all. However, kill them with kindness. In the end all problems will be resolved.