Thread: Enhancement for ArtRage's image reference window.

Enhancement for ArtRage's image reference window.

After using ArtRage 6 for about 3 months, I find the functionality to move and magnifying a reference image is counter intuitive. You have to click the magnifying glass icon or the directional icon before you can move the cursor about the reference image. Wouldn't it better if one can just move the mouse anywhere in the reference image, then either use the mouse's wheel to enlarge or reduce; or click and hold the left mouse button and drag the image within its window?

I made this same request today in the general chat, where I hope other artists and ArtRage users will notice similar limitations of the UI and functionality of various elements and hopefully point it out. Suggestions here are well and good, but sometimes we need more people to chime in and not everyone is as interested in coming down to this subforum to make their requests.

Personally, I use the spacebar + click to pan around in the normal window, and think doing that in alternate views and references would make sense. Also, ctrl + shift + click and drag will give zooming in and out, once again, on references and additional views this would make sense. Currently in references you can hold ctrl for windows OS, and command in Mac + click and drag to zoom in on references, holding shift + click will allow you to pan on your reference; none of these work in additional views of the canvas, which I find a major drawback. Unifying the hotkeys and shortcuts across the different windows within the application would require less thinking for me as a user, and allow the functionality to feel consistent and easy from reference to canvas to extra views.

In case you weren't using the extra views, they are very good for keeping an eye on the big picture if you are working zoomed in often, or for allowing you to make a big change with a brush or tool and want to see it's affect within a selection that may go off your visible main view.

Putting in my two cents of agreement...

Putting in my two cents of agreement....