Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first ever digital drawing.

My first ever digital drawing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Model.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	360.0 KB 
ID:	98046

I have owned ArtRage since version 4, now version 6. Took me until now to get the courage to tackle digital drawing. Well, I have to admit that I am quite happy with the end result.

David C.

Well done. David. A great. Result. So let's See. More. CIAO. SLAA

Quote Originally Posted by eighty+ View Post
    Well done. David. A great. Result. So let's See. More. CIAO. SLAA
    Thanks so much, eighty+. It means a lot!

That's good. I think you got the thoughtful/contemplative emotion on his face just right

Why do you feel you need courage? Nothing lost if you try and it comes out worse than you'd hoped. Just practise more. That's what practise is for...

Quote Originally Posted by bluesungfruit View Post
    That's good. I think you got the thoughtful/contemplative emotion on his face just right

Why do you feel you need courage? Nothing lost if you try and it comes out worse than you'd hoped. Just practise more. That's what practise is for...
    I had tempted many tries since version 4, but always ended up with negative results. So I just gave up, but yet, continue to upgrade to a newer version, hoping it would give me a boost and it did, but short lived until now. With this happy ending, I am definitely looking forward to drawing more using ArtRage. And you are absolutely right, practice makes perfect. I am getting there.....

I like the pose. Good first effort. Keep an eye on your ranges of tone. Lights, Midtones and darks. Don't be afraid of going too dark. From your drawing style it looks like you traditionally work in pencil a lot? It's a hard translation to digital. Pay attention to blending and if you are a pencil geek remember to think in terms of layering (glazing----laying light washes slowing at a time). Don't work one area at once and then move to another area and move on or you can lose your focus. Flip your image often. But you got this digital thing down. Good first post. Oh--one more thing.Swiss Made tools will not make you a great woodcarver--that being said--Artrage will not make you a great artist--Artrage is just the keys to the kingdom: you still have to do the work to open the door. Good luck!
    Last edited by Catmandolin; 09-16-2019 at 10:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Catmandolin View Post
    I like the pose. Good first effort. Keep an eye on your ranges of tone. Lights, Midtones and darks. Don't be afraid of going too dark. From your drawing style it looks like you traditionally work in pencil a lot? It's a hard translation to digital. Pay attention to blending and if you are a pencil geek remember to think in terms of layering (glazing----laying light washes slowing at a time). Don't work one area at once and then move to another area and move on or you can lose your focus. Flip your image often. But you got this digital thing down. Good first post. Oh--one more thing.Swiss Made tools will not make you a great woodcarver--that being said--Artrage will not make you a great artist--Artrage is just the keys to the kingdom: you still have to do the work to open the door. Good luck!
    Yes, I used to work with only pencil. Had tried other mediums, but always went back to pencil. Could not believe that you could tell that I worked in one area at a time (4 thumbs up to you)! I have always done that, but I guess it's a bad idea, huh. Thanks a bunch for all those advises, Catmandolin. Will definitely following them all in my next project.

Nice and clean portrait. Well done!
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Not bad for a first time around. Isn't this nice compared to drawing with natural media: no pencils to constantly sharpen, no erasers all full of black lead that have to be scrubbed out, no paper surface engraved with marks from mistakes that had to be erased or in some cases engraved so bad that you need to start over on a new fresh piece of paper. How facilitating, the miracle of digital art in some cases can make drawing so much easier.
    I have a personally designed artwork gallery website at: www.stephenlopiano.com
    There is one section full of pages there under the Digital Artwork category that is devoted entirely to paintings I have created with Art Rage.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Lo Piano View Post
    Not bad for a first time around. Isn't this nice compared to drawing with natural media: no pencils to constantly sharpen, no erasers all full of black lead that have to be scrubbed out, no paper surface engraved with marks from mistakes that had to be erased or in some cases engraved so bad that you need to start over on a new fresh piece of paper. How facilitating, the miracle of digital art in some cases can make drawing so much easier.

The technology! It’s not that simple to draw with oil or tempera as with the digital simulator and there is one huge problem — the waste-bin. (Personally, I like to draw and then throw it overboard to the waste-bin, digital... And ... the silence!) But, eventually, You wouldn't like digital copy of, -- e.g. Серебряковой, Rafaello, et cetera, -- as the first oil original... Erasers... Yeah!