Thread: Apply paint thickness with pen pressure

Apply paint thickness with pen pressure

It would be nice if the 'Loading' in the 'Texture' section of the Brush Designer could be set to 'pen pressure', ie., the harder you press down with your stylus, the more depth is applied to the paint. This would make painting more intuitive, as I wouldn't need to create several different brushes with multiple painting thicknesses.

I would like to be able to set it in reverse, to feel like I load my brushes in real life. I put a lot of paint on my brush when loading, and applying a lot of pressure removes paint from the surface. This is functionally similar to how the Paint Roller in a way, but instead of loading affecting how much is actually on the brush and it being removed by distance, it could in effect be removed by a lack of pressure, or by more pressure (depending on whether you like to press hard to get more paint or press hard to remove paint.

Quote Originally Posted by Delofasht View Post
    I would like to be able to set it in reverse, to feel like I load my brushes in real life. I put a lot of paint on my brush when loading, and applying a lot of pressure removes paint from the surface. This is functionally similar to how the Paint Roller in a way, but instead of loading affecting how much is actually on the brush and it being removed by distance, it could in effect be removed by a lack of pressure, or by more pressure (depending on whether you like to press hard to get more paint or press hard to remove paint.
    In the new custom brushes you can set the "Deposit" setting to get such an effect with paint thickness... it starts thick and goes down to thin.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkOwnt View Post
    In the new custom brushes you can set the "Deposit" setting to get such an effect with paint thickness... it starts thick and goes down to thin.
    Excellent, was planning on upgrading to AR6 anyway, but good to hear some of the features I want to see are making it into the application.

Awww, it is not a pressure sensitive or tilt sensitive depth thickness control. It does start thick and go down to thin, but it's based on distance traveled as opposed to pressure or tilt control (my preference on these kinds of things). Length of stroke is usually a result of paint coming off the brush in real life, and as such how you hold your brush and apply pressure can control how much is coming off it. Also, how you load your brush will affect how the brush is going to come off.

I will see about posting some videos of how I load the brush and attempt to conceptualize the process of pulling a stroke in a way that can be programmed. Also, the Custom Brush designer control lack a method for controlling the paint depth like the oil brush has. It's excellent to have access to a paint depth at all in the custom brush, but I do wish I could have all the stiffness and depth controls of the Oil Brush with my own custom brush heads. Still, ArtRage always has the things that other programs lack, which is live color mixing at a much faster and realistic handling speed.

Yeah,... I gotta agree. I wish the thickness in the Custom Brush could be controlled with pressure sensitivity. Depth and Gloss control in the Brush Settings window would be great for Custom Brush as well...

At the very minimum, perhaps the 'Loading' slider in the 'Texture' setting of the 'Brush Designer' could ALSO be placed in the 'Settings Panel', so I don't have to keep opening the 'Brush Designer' and toggling to the 'Texture' area just to adjust a slider...

-Thanks for the consideration!

I would like it too,

I think it could be done with this suggestion post:
    Feature Request: BRUSH CONTACT options for Custom Brush
    (I can not put the link of the post , sorry)

The stroke length is usually a result of the color coming off the brush in real life. Therefore, the way you hold the brush and apply pressure can control the amount that comes out. The way you charge your brush also affects how the brush comes off. Brush with my own brush heads. However, ArtRage still lacks the things that other programs lack, namely mixing colors at a much faster and more realistic manipulation speed.

You misunderstand. I'm seeking to control the 'height' of the impasto with pen pressure...