Thread: The Tailor

The Tailor

This a piece I m also working on in Medibang Paint Pro but I used this WIP to run AR 6 through its paces and I have to say I am really loving the new version. I will sometimes do pieces in multiple programs because I'm a squirrel but I also transfer from one to another to take advantage of different elements when I m illustrating.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Tailor.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	185.0 KB 
ID:	98003  

You're not alone in that having multiple programs in your workflow. The ArtRage team seems to have taken that into consideration early in its evolution as a normal thing. They let you export and import in Photoshop format. I'm not familiar with the program you mention, but glad to hear these programs play well together.

Nice detailed pic.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

go get it. It's free. and it's photo shop compatible and they update the hell out of it. It is extremely powerful. It is designed for the Japanese Manga industry and so Shonen Jump is behind it and they use it to find their illustrators--it has a GIANT world wide cloud community and artist can hook up and work on projects together as teams. You can do the offline
    thing or go cloud if you want to. Very secure but its a great way to get exposure if you are into that sort of thing. I have met a lot of talented illustrators from a lot of different nations through medibang.

NOW, I have kept my mouth shut about Krita but my personal opinion is that, yes, it is one great program, if you have a PC or Linnux but if you own a Mac you are a dog--not my opinion--the owners of Krita despise, hate, deplore and loathe Macs--we are the dirty stinky diaper of their offerings. They have said they hate macs on the forums and unless someone coughs up enough cash, they don't and won't go out of their way to support the program. On my PC Krita runs like a dream. I love it...well sort of--I think it is like Blender, the 3d modeling tool---sometimes all you need is a piece of paper, pencil and a ticonderoga to draw a mountainside. You don't need to spend time fiddling with the program, getting the point just right, drawing it and then hoping it will save or print. On my mac, the cursor drags and is slow--it's never been fixed. The sketching still is good but is nowhere near the pleasant experience I just had with AR.

AR --you pick up the pencil, you sketch, you erase and you don't get angry (I have anger issues with computers). Now this is my opinion but you be the judge, it might be great for you but if a developer says something bad about one platform in public, then I don't trust them because if they run into a problem on the other platforms are they going to make the same excuses and run away? I can't be the judge of that. Not my place but we all have not time to waste and AR is one great time saver.

One to absolutely stay away from but is fantastic is Made with Mischief or Mischief. It is vector based and features an "infinite canvas" and the ability to "pin" various locations. Very cool. I love this thing and I beta tested on it. However, it's lying dead in the water because it's owners may not know where it fits into their product base so it's sold and you can get it for about 20 bucks but don't look for updates. It's sad but honestly it's not going anywhere. It's a dream to sketch with too.
    Last edited by Catmandolin; 09-02-2019 at 04:24 AM.

Fantastic. Love the use of negative space. If this is a WIP I look forward to seeing the finished piece.

Also thanks for the software suggestions - downloaded Mischief even though it won't be worth buying, just to play around for a session or two. Should be fun.

Thanks, Blue. Mischief does have a LOT of upsides but they stopped working on it--god knows why. Pixelogic has a free sculpt tool called Sculptris which was free for a long time by its inventor and they acquired it and now offer it free as "Alpha 6" and never took it further because they use it as fishing bait to draw you into the world of zBrush. THAT I get but Mischief--it has that infinite canvas--great sketching tool. Wonderful stuff but utterly abandoned but not abandoned--it's in limbo. Maybe one day but for now, it comes across as gimmicky--you can integrate your sketches with artrage I THINK by exporting as a png file or such--trying to remember.

I will post this WIP when finished. All that detail is making me blind but its fun!

Yeah that's a lot of detail. The kind of thing I sometimes want to try but rarely have the patience for! Are you inspired by any artists in particular?

Have you tried Alchemy? Not used it for a couple of years now but did have a lot of fun with it at one point, playing around with symmetry like in Krita but with some crazier pens. Hmm might look it up again actually...

I actually like Krita on a PC but despise it on Macs. I have alchemy and still fool around with it. It's a fun little thing. I used to hang with the cats over at cg cookie but drifted here and there. I have a fondness for Rockwell and NC Wyeth but I like a lot Allen Lee, Arthur Rackham, Waterhouse of course, I love Hopper, Einlee (a young Tai artist), Enkai Bilal, Paperblue and the list goes on. Every where I turn there is an artist is blows me away-art is like one big candy store. I don't detail. I paint shapes and hope something pops up--I am freakishly draw to line art and if I am not careful it will show up in the paintings so I try to work hard with shapes using a line underdrawing as a map which I turn off at the end of the process. Suellen Ross works like that. She is all about the cats, you know. LOL!

Yes I discover new amazing artists every week - every day if I'm paying attention!

The American illustration influence is apparent in this piece. Also a big fan of Wyeth et al. If you haven't heard of him - it took me a long time to discover his work, though he was hugely influential and popular in his day - the work of Walter Everett is something to behold. He doesn't even have a Wikipedia page but the work that I've found online puts him up in my top selection. I believe he studied under Howard Pyle (and was contemporary to Wyeth). There's a cleanliness to his colours and forms that just blows me away.

Suellen Ross's work is crazy! Can't believe those are paintings!