ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: "ArtRage Tumbnal Shell Extension 32" Uninstall Pro

"ArtRage Tumbnal Shell Extension 32" Uninstall Pro

Hi,

I'm currently working on a project for remote software deployment and I just tested ArtRage for silent installation but encountered a serious problem along the way.

The free version of ArtRage 2.2 works flawlessly for install and uninstall. Even the thumbnail shell extension's installer is working fine. The problem ist the uninstaller of the thumbnail shell extension.
    Looking at the registry i found that the uninstaller for the shell extension is located in %windir% and called unins000.exe. This is a serious problem for me because other application may put their uninstaller there too and overwrite the uninstaller for the thumbnail shell extension.
    So what can I (or you) do? Move the uninstaller to some other location after installing the shell extension? Or just rename it? Or would you release an updated version of the installer that fixes the problem?

Either way, thanks in advance for any helpful answers,

-
    narutard

MikeRage Guest
    Hi,

You may already know exactly how those uninstXXX.exe and .dat files work, but just in case, here's an explanation, and some thoughts.

The reason the uninstallation file goes into the Windows folder is that's the location of the shell extension viewer DLL. We can't really put it in the ArtRage installation folder, because the extension can be installed on any PC, whether ArtRage is present or not.

When running our installers, these uninstXXX.exe and .dat files will never be overwritten, as the XXX value is always unique. So, let's imagine you install the thumbnail viewer, and then (via an installer) another DLL that wants to put its uninstXXX.exe/dat in the Windows folder. Most likely, the thumbnail viewer's uninstall files will be called uninst000.exe and .dat, and the second DLL's uninstall files will be uninst001.exe and .dat.

Now, you mentioned silent install. Our installers don't support silent install, so I'm imagining you're doing this in some other manner. Unfortunately we can't really help much with third-party installation methods, but here's a thought. Perhaps you're doing something like creating a file structure and copying that to the target machines to do the silent install, and registering the thumbnail extension manually somehow. If that's the case, you could safely rename the uninstXXX.exe and .dat to something like ArtRageThumbnailExtensionUninstall.exe and .dat, and update any Start Menu links etc to point to these. They'll work fine, and should even still uninstall themselves correctly despite their names being non-standard.

If I'm misunderstanding the situation at all, please let us know, and we'll take another look.

Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeRage
    The reason the uninstallation file goes into the Windows folder is that's the location of the shell extension viewer DLL. We can't really put it in the ArtRage installation folder, because the extension can be installed on any PC, whether ArtRage is present or not.
    The idea was to put it into a "Ambient Design\Thumbnail Extension" folder or something like that in %programfiles%, not into "Ambient Design\ArtRage 2" (or what the folder was called again). That way there wouldn't be any problems.

When running our installers, these uninstXXX.exe and .dat files will never be overwritten, as the XXX value is always unique. So, let's imagine you install the thumbnail viewer, and then (via an installer) another DLL that wants to put its uninstXXX.exe/dat in the Windows folder. Most likely, the thumbnail viewer's uninstall files will be called uninst000.exe and .dat, and the second DLL's uninstall files will be uninst001.exe and .dat.
    Ok, I didnt know that. Thank you for the explanation. I shouldnt test on clean machines where there simply are no other uninstallers. But the problem remains. I dont really know what the uninstaller is called since it could be "unins000.exe" or "unins666.exe" or whatever else.

Now, you mentioned silent install. Our installers don't support silent install
    All your installers and uninstallers DO support silent install and uninstall by simply using /silent as parameter. It's a build-in feature of the installer you are using. I already installed both ArtRage and the Thumbnail Viewer Extension silently and uninstalled them too.

-
    narutard

MikeRage Guest
    Hi,

All your installers and uninstallers DO support silent install and uninstall by simply using /silent as parameter. It's a build-in feature of the installer you are using. I already installed both ArtRage and the Thumbnail Viewer Extension silently and uninstalled them too.
    Neither the /SILENT and /VERYSILENT options do true silent installs; they will both warn and prompt as necessary. But if this is close enough for you, all good. If you take a look at the docs on Inno Setup, you'll find more command line parameters that make the install as close as possible to silent (e.g. /SUPPRESSMSGBOXES).

But the problem remains. I dont really know what the uninstaller is called since it could be "unins000.exe" or "unins666.exe" or whatever else.
    Hmm, I may need to have more info on the problem. If you're using our installers, the shortcuts always point to the right uninstallers, and no uninstallers will be overwritten in any circumstances. So, in theory, everything should work fine. It shouldn't be necessary for you to know the specific name of the uninstall exe and dat, as far as I can tell. Is there something I'm missing?

Mike.

But the problem remains. I dont really know what the uninstaller is called since it could be "unins000.exe" or "unins666.exe" or whatever else.
    Hmm, I may need to have more info on the problem. If you're using our installers, the shortcuts always point to the right uninstallers, and no uninstallers will be overwritten in any circumstances. So, in theory, everything should work fine. It shouldn't be necessary for you to know the specific name of the uninstall exe and dat, as far as I can tell. Is there something I'm missing?
    OK, let me explain it a little more in detail. I'm using a system to install/update/uninstall software packages on workstation computers based on configuration files for these workstations hosted on a main server. For this system to work i need to hardcode the install and uninstall commands into the configuration files, e.g. "\\server\software\artrage\artrage.exe /silent" or "%windir%\unins000.exe /silent". For this i need to know where to find the .exe files. For installation and update this is pretty easy since i know where i put the installers but for uninstall i face the problem that i dont know the exact name of the uninstaller since it could be unins000.exe or unins123.exe or anything else.
    Sadly i cant assume that the shortcuts in the startmenu are there since users tend to "clean up" their startmenus and remove everything they dont need. this also goes for hyperactive administrators that want a nice and shiny, clean startmenu without readmes, helpfiles or uninstallers. and does the thumbnail viewer extension even create a shortcut in the startmenu? i cant test it right now... if it does i could copy the shortcut from the startmenu to somewhere were it wont get deleted. that would be a possible solution for the problem. but having the uninstaller right in "%programfiles%\Ambient Design\Thumbnail Extension" would still be a lot easier for everyone, dont you agree? (except maybe for the programmers who have to change the installer