Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: ArtRage 6

"Also the loading feels like it should be controlling the loading of all the paint, like it does with the oil brush when you have activated the effects of paint texture in Custom Brush (so when the paint thickness runs out, so too does the color). "

Yes I noticed this also. Currently if one wants the thickness to slowly deplete at the same rate as the color, one has to tweak the "Deposit" setting so that the match appears to one's liking.

I think the custom brush is limited and at the same time very flexible because it is a way of fabricating the look of thick paint but does not attempt to actually simulate thick paint (push it around etc.). The "refresh" and "pickup" setting are great for setting how much of a wet in wet color dynamic you get, but these settings would not really be applicable to thickness, which currently just has an overall appearance, i.e. colors of areas are "mixed", thicknesses are (up to the opacity setting) overwritten by the brush... which seems intuitively correct to me... (unless the paint "dried" ... then you have a different situation.)

I downloaded the demo of ArtRage 6 and played around with it a bit. I honestly can not see that much of a difference in features or toolsets with ver 5.

I was disappointed by the removal of the chalk brush. It appears now there is only the wax tool.

I have not used it long enough to comment on performance.

I think I'll hold off upgrading until version 7. Perhaps it will offer more.

Love version 5. No need for me to upgrade unless someone can prove me wrong.

I did upgrade, although I miss the chalk too and, above all, a downloadable and printable complete manual of ArtRege 6 (i.e. old and new features, possibly with specific examples concerning the most complex and less natural feature, including the script etc.).
    I would have appreciated a a ricer common filters set.
    Anyway many thanks again to our dear Ragers to keep going at a still reasonable price (for upgrading at least) ...
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Hay, I have ArtRage Lite, if I will upgrade how it will work? Current discount 40%+Lite Upgrade 30%=70%? Or how?
    I tried to upgrade to see but coupons you provided dose not work.

If you encounter problems in Upgrading ArtRage then you can contact them directly using the Support page found here: https://www.artrage.com/get-support/
    Select the 4th topic down; ‘I need help upgrading or updating ArtRage’
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by kenmo View Post
    I downloaded the demo of ArtRage 6 and played around with it a bit. I honestly can not see that much of a difference in features or toolsets with ver 5.

I was disappointed by the removal of the chalk brush. It appears now there is only the wax tool.

I have not used it long enough to comment on performance.

I think I'll hold off upgrading until version 7. Perhaps it will offer more.

Love version 5. No need for me to upgrade unless someone can prove me wrong.

Hello Kenmo:

This is not really a "proof", but there are at least three reasons why the new custom brush with depth effects is better than the standard old AR Oil brush.

In the picture below the oil brush is shown in the top half, the custom brush with depth and blending effects in the bottom half.

1. Brush strokes and dabs are much more varied and organic looking with the custom brush. Brush stroke shapes, and textures for the old Oil Brush are much more regular/digital in appearance. Also note, with the old Oils only dab or stroke are possible, and not anything in between.

2. Tight circles or aggressive direction change in the Old oils break down, producing broken strokes (even when the stylus is not lifted) and digital "cornering" which can be visible. Custom brush allows complete control with no breakage and no discernible little digital "cornering" even for tight circles.

3. Blending with the standard old AR Oil Brush can lead to divergent colors, i.e. over saturation, which I have been a little "cantankerous" over on this forum in the past. The custom brush can be used to blend color as much as you want and the color never diverges, it always "converges" becoming some color in between those you are mixing. Blending with the custom brush is a joy.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ThreeReasonsWhy.jpg 
Views:	291 
Size:	209.2 KB 
ID:	98261

IMHO The new AR6 custom brush with depth effects, once mastered (it does take work to build and tweak good brushes) can be far superior to the standard old AR Oil Brush.

Cheers!!

Talking of the old Crayon & Chalk tools found in AR2&3, they were put under the umbrella of the “Pastel” tool in AR4, with the Chalk tool being given an extra setting for Softness at this time (before it just had Pressure as a setting) and the Crayon’s name changed to Wax. The two tools being accessed by clicking on their respective tabs in the Pastel tool.
    AR5 saw the addition of Noise & Noise Scale to both these tools and perhaps more importantly Tilt response when using a pen & tablet.
    AR6 saw no changes to the “Pastel” tool.

And also with regard to DarkOwnt’s favourite tool the Custom Brush, any Custom Brush can also be used as an Eraser brush now, which is kind of cool
    I would also like to make mention of my favourite tool the Watercolour Brush which was initially broken on AR6’s release (it was horrendously slow!) but soon fixed by Andy in a prompt update. Now it is slightly faster than before and at max size and pressure, the brush head covers slightly more area.
    Whilst these were only very small and I suppose in a way “unofficial” improvements to the brush, it’s like they say “every little helps”!
    Last edited by markw; 11-28-2019 at 05:30 AM.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram

Perhaps so. But not a reason for me to upgrade or fork out money. I was expecting more from ArtRage 6 and it did not deliver. I am pleased with Artrage 5 and there is NO reason for me to upgrade. Hoping 7 has some significant changes. If not, I'll stay with 5.

The upgrade offer today was too good an offer to refuse. So I jumped and upgraded to AR 6.