Thread: ArtRage 6

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

ArtRage 6

Long have we waited but it’s here, ArtRage 6
    Mac Retina support!!! Zoom, Rotate and Panning are way smoother now!
    Custom brush can now have paint texture/depth! (I can see I’m going to have to re-save a lot of old presets…)
    Watercolour brush has a new setting for Drip Spike? (Not sure what it dose yet, I’m still pocking around and playing!)
    Pencil tool now has Smoothing!
    Improved Colour Wheal, now can show different categories of Complimentary colours!
    More control over the canvas lighting.
    Recordable Actions (found under the Tool menu) I know there are some here who are going to love that!
    Right, back to exploring (and possibly doing some work!)
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram

OMG
    OMG

I've tried AR6....

OMG
    OMG

The texture extension/addition for the Custom Brush is AMAZING!!

It is sooooo powerful and flexible! Level of gloss is a very nice addition too!

In combination with the new canvas lighting customization - angle and intensity - this new custom brush texture is insanely tweakable.. to new heights of subtlety and realism..

You can keep your custom brushes at high loading levels - for lots of paint - but turn down the intensity using the canvas controls (and/or turn down or up the roughness of the texture) to get really subtle but realistic affects - with a very good balance.

BEST of all... the blending engine for the custom brush is still as good as it ever was!!

THE NEW DEPTH TEXTURE EFFECTS FOR THE CUSTOM BRUSH ALONE MAKE IT WORTH THE PRICE FOR UPGRADING!

BRAVO to the ArtRage team for making the custom brush truly a WONDER of real-media simulation, and IMHO the BEST available!!!

I really cannot say how excited I am...simply BRILLIANT!

Can anyone post some samples using the new features?

Congratulations on the release Ragers. I can't wait to start playing!

Looking good so far. The custom brush is much better with the new parameters - especially the fall off and movement factors which are great for dry/old brush effects and toning down the 3D textures which are easy to over do.

I too am confused by the drip spike in the watercolour brush though. I've tinkered with it quite a bit and doesn't seem to do anything?

Only downside so far is it seems a little less stable with my intuos tablet (just updated the driver for that too though so that could also be the issue) - I now have to double click the sliders to adjust them...
    *edit* - turns out the wintab/precise tablet was off and using realtime stylus instead. All working as normal now. (Windows ink space seems to be throwing up a few bugs with tablet recently)
    Last edited by NickBussy; 06-26-2019 at 12:01 AM. Reason: Problem solved

So.... ignore the 'drip spike' slider in the watercolour tool. That was accidentally included and not currently tied to any parameter changes. I was experimenting with some different technology and neglected to remove the control.
    That slider will be gone in an update.
    We often experiment with stuff that doesn't make it to the final build. I generally remember to remove any spurious controls.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

I am always super-excited when ArtRage announces a new version, and the new features look great. I notice however that the 'Drip Spike' feature in watercolour has vanished on my first update with ArtRage 6? And I also noticed that the watercolour brush is a little slower than ArtRage 5 on my Windows 10 setup. So maybe I will keep to ArtRage 5 for watercolour work. Does anyone else notice this?

Hello friendz777 and welcome to the ArtRage forums
    I know how you feel when there’s a new ArtRage release!
    The “Drip Spike” control was an oversight by Andy and wasn’t supposed to be “visible” to users, nor was it actually connected to any current brush parameters.
    As for the Watercolour Brush speed in AR6, yes sadly you are all too right about that and I’ve made a post about it.
    Hopefully it will get a fix soon but as you say until then we have AR5 we can use.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram