Thread: Fantasy painting of my Granddaughter

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Love the way you transformed the picture to some fairytale surrounding, thanks for sharing your work. I have bought some fairytale artworks like this from Indianartzone for my kids room

First, your reference photo. Trace away. You own the image and you are saving the time. Your painting speaks for itself so no worries. My comment centers around the clothes she is wearing the world through which she is romping. I like your choice of the blues against the darkness of her skin but because of the greenery you might toss some reds into her clothing to complement the greens and maybe play with whether a light, medium or the dark blue that you have now would work best for her. Her facial expression is bloody brilliant. It's delightful. The tracing is ok as long as you remember to unflatten her body. That is always a danger to keep an eye out for. I would lose the pants under the dress as that looks too modern and consider a lace slip. You put her in the woods so evaluate carefully your direction of light; how it is striking her and the objects around here and from which direction and are there multiple sources of light. What I see is a girl who has innocently stepped into the Spirit World (see Miyazaki's Spirited Away)--not a bad thing for her but can either be delightful or dangerous--that is the beauty of innocence--the bravery of not knowing. You have a beautiful grand model. Cherish her and make this painting one that counts. I hope my advice is not too presumptious. It was an honor to view your work.

Wow! It takes something just to consider creating a complex scene like this, let alone actually going through with it. Love the composition, the way the eye is drawn backwards through the levels; and the imagination!

Good advice from Catmandolin too.