Thread: Can't make a mark

Can't make a mark

I have been working on a painting and upon coming back to it now none of the tools will make a mark on the canvas. I can't draw, paint, erase or anything. Using a Wacom tablet, Mac OS in ArtRage 4. I have never had this happen before. If I open a new painting the tools work fine but not in the one I have been working on.
    I have not intentionally changed any settings.

Any idea what is going on? Thanks for any help.

I could really use some help here. I have opened the painting now on a different computer, still a Mac, using a different Wacom and still I can't paint. I have a lot of work in this piece and can't find a reason for this behavior.

Is someonesane still around here?
    Last edited by ForensicArt; 05-11-2019 at 02:27 PM.

Hello ForensicArt, and welcome to the ArtRage forums
    This is indeed strange behaviour for AR.
    The only time I had something similar happen to me was doing a line drawing and at some point I accidentally selected the canvas colour. I confess it was fully 20min or more before I figured out why non of my tools were making any marks!
    But as you say the eraser isn’t working too this sounds a more serious problem than simple user error.

The best I can suggest is that you contact Ambient Design directly; [email protected] and maybe send them the offending file if need be so they can see what’s going on.
    And sorry for the slow response from the forums here. However it is the weekend… (Funny how these disasters strike at the worst possible times!)
    I wish you good fortune in getting it fixed.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram

Thanks for the response Mark. I stumbled on a solution of sorts. I exported my work as a .psd file and imported that file back into ArtRage, and presto! Everything was back to normal! I really wasn't expecting that to do anything, and I certainly didn't know I would even get all my layers intact, but it worked.

I did get a response from Matt at Ambient with a couple suggestions but no luck. Unfortunately the file is almost 50Mb so I can't email it. I would have like them to have a look at it.

Really glad to hear your back up and running with your painting, a clever solution you found. Excellent news!
    I agree it would be good if Matt could see what was going on "under the hood" with that file.
    If you still have it, you could upload it to a file sharing site like Dropbox (other flavours are available) and then just send Matt a link to the file.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram

We'll send you an email shortly with a dropbox link you can use to upload the file so we can take a look at it and tell you what's causing the problem. I'm sure we can work it out!