Thread: Imported File Autosave?

Imported File Autosave?

Hi there friends, hope you're all having a nice day.

I imported a PSD file and was painting on it for a while, then I closed the file without saving it first, there wasn't a prompt to save or anything so the file just closed.
    I'm not crying over the loss or anything but if anyone knows a way to potentially get that file back, I wouldn't complain about that either. ^^

I checked under preferences, Advanced preferences, and store backup file is set to 0. I think I was in the mood to practice letting go when I set that, or something like that, haha.

Anyway thanks for any input you might have on this one.
    Cheers!

That's definitely unexpected! If you import an image, paint then close that painting, you should always see a save prompt.

Firstly, check that there is a ptg ( ArtRage painting file ) version that was saved. To save a PSD you'd need to specifically export as a PSD, so if you saved, you should have a painting file containing your work.

Otherwise, can you try this again, import the same PSD file, add a stroke of paint, close the painting in the same way and let me know the result?

Also, can you tell me which version of ArtRage you're using ( Help -> About ArtRage ) and the OS you're on?

The backup save system works like this:

To enable it, go to Edit -> Preferences -> Advanced then setting 'Store Backup Files' to a value higher than 0. This sets the number of copies to keep.

This will then automatically create a .ptgback extension file of the previous version of your painting whenever you save.

For example, if you saved 'mypainting.ptg' multiple times, you'd also have in the same folder 'mypainting_GenA.ptgback' 'mypainting_GenB.ptgback' and so on in the same folder, where GenA is always the previous version. In the event of a problem, loading one of these previous versions, then saving it again as a new painting should mean that the last save is protected.

The backup save system being disabled doesn't prevent ArtRage from prompting to save when you close a painting, so that shouldn't have an affect on that.

Hi Dave, thanks for taking the time to reply.

It was all a misunderstanding as it turned out, somehow I pressed some hotkey or other and it switched to another document that was also open at the time, which looked like an earlier version of the file I was working on, so I got the mistaken impression that the file got closed. It didn't, it was safely tucked away.
    I'll be paying more attention next time!

Cheers and have a good day.

No problem! Thanks for letting me know, glad to hear you didn't lose your work