Thread: Hardware capability for Artrage

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hardware capability for Artrage

What is the most importatant hardware capability for Artrage speed - multicore processor, fast single thread processor, graphic card or amount of memory?

Hello cinematik,
    My list of considerations would be;
    A computer with as fast a multi core CPU as you can afford as ArtRage is very CPU intensive.
    Next on the list I would say is as much fast RAM as you can afford to install. AR needs to keep track of a lot more background info regarding paint thickness, wetness etc… on the fly that some other paint programs don’t use.
    Next an SSD hard-drive if possible, though not an absolute must have.
    And finally the GPU, ArtRage doesn’t actually use it that much. I think it would only really be important if you are going to be using multiple large high definition displays.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram

Hello markw, so you consider that Artrage is more multicore software than singlcore? Yes I know there is even an option that allows to switch off multicoreness in settings, but this page "artrage com/manuals/hardware/artrage-supported-platforms-devices" does not give as too much information about that.

Well, the option is there to turn 'Off' multithreading if you are experiencing “problems”. I grant you though that this is a rather vague statement as it stands in isolation!
    I have 4 physical cores in my laptop, which, thanks to the dark arts of programmers and multi-threading, the Operating System treats as though they were 8 cores.
    But sometimes, with some apps and or Operating Systems instead of boosting the OS/App speed these 4 extra “imaginary” cores could actually slow down the OS/App, sometimes.
    And so AR gives us the ability to switch them off if we think that is happening.
    However I have to say that I have never had to do that!
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram

The option to disable multithreading is mainly there in case some devices have issues basically. For example, a Windows 10 update and change to the way they handled multithreading meant that problems could occur with Artrage 3 on that newer OS. I would recommend leaving multithreading on in newer versions of ArtRage as you will tend to get a significant performance improvement. I hope that helps clarify things.