Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Sketchbook - Digital Oils

2019 Sketchbook - Digital Oils

Hi folks, I'm new here - freelance Character Designer by trade but very much a 24/7 artist!

I just started with ArtRage and thought I'd keep a sketchbook here. I don't have the money, space or means to learn traditional oil painting so I'm trying it out in the program to see what kind of results I can get. I've always loved Alla Prima work and get excited by the mark making of artists like Richard Schmid, Robert Lemler and David Shevlino (as well as the usual culprits such as Sargent, Zorn and Sorolla).

The only tools I've been using so far are the Oil Brush and Palette Knife on the Essential Canvas, painting on one layer to keep things as "traditional" (and uncomplicated) as possible. Hoping to update this thread periodically with experiments! My first paintings are below...just fruit and veg for now. Cheers!

Name:  Pear_600px.jpg
Views: 2534
Size:  290.5 KB

Name:  Pepper_600px.jpg
Views: 9011
Size:  247.0 KB

Name:  Tomatoes_600px.jpg
Views: 14007
Size:  220.2 KB

Name:  Pumpkin_600px.jpg
Views: 12677
Size:  233.8 KB

Name:  Apple_600px.jpg
Views: 6112
Size:  207.4 KB

So clean! I really appreciate your clarity of approach. I bet the advert agencies love your work for comps at the very least. Or animation houses based on your avatar.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Like all ... but favorite is the pumpkin.

Look forward to seeing more.

Welcome to the forums! These are really nice, they have a really painterly look to them.

Hoooo-weeeee! If this is you just warming up, you are going to be a force to be reckoned with! I also love the brushwork, and the painterly look of this work.
    I got the chance to see some JS Sargent work in DC last year. I think the noise of my jaw hitting the floor startled the guard. That man’s brushwork is simply insane...gobs and slashes of apparently carelessly-mixed paint that coalesce into a perfect landscape as you step back. ��

Thanks all! Apologies for the extremely late reply.

Quote Originally Posted by el Davo Loco View Post
    Hoooo-weeeee! If this is you just warming up, you are going to be a force to be reckoned with! I also love the brushwork, and the painterly look of this work.
    I got the chance to see some JS Sargent work in DC last year. I think the noise of my jaw hitting the floor startled the guard. That man’s brushwork is simply insane...gobs and slashes of apparently carelessly-mixed paint that coalesce into a perfect landscape as you step back. ��
    I hear you about Sargent, el Davo. He's my absolute favourite painter: I saw a full exhibition of his at the Royal Portrait Gallery in London a few years back and could have stayed in there for days. Every single canvas was a masterpiece!

Here are some more sketches I did today, trying to stay loose and only use the bare minimum in terms of tools and layers. I need to work on my edges a lot more: I find those are absolutely key to a successful image (and something Sargent was also a master at, of course).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chicken_crop.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	113.7 KB 
ID:	97565

Name:  Lemon sketch warmup.jpg
Views: 14042
Size:  271.5 KB

Name:  Cherry sketch warmup.jpg
Views: 12099
Size:  396.6 KB

Name:  Fish_crop.jpg
Views: 10612
Size:  403.3 KB

Wow Fantastic work your are a master : D
    Visit my website here

Haha! Far from a master, but thank you very much!

Hi. Dan. Fantastic art. Congrats. For showing. Will help all us blind bats we hope to Paint .
    Regards ploos. CIAO IVAYA CON DIOS. HASTA LA VISTA. SLAINTE

Love your brush strokes. Great paintings