Thread: Adding texture / dragging a dry brush

Adding texture / dragging a dry brush

Hi Guys

I'm trying to find out if it's possible to create texture by dragging a dry and loaded brush across a textured underpainting, allowing the underpainting to show through, as you would if using acrylics or oils? I have tried using 'insta-dry' but it seems too clean and regular, whereas I'm trying to get a rough look...like in this attachment for example....

Name:  Screen Shot 2019-03-04 at 14.46.47.png
Views: 1289
Size:  325.3 KB

I would really appreciate any advice or help...

Cheers, Hansi

Hi and welcome Hansi - is this what you have in mind?

Name:  texture.png
Views: 1206
Size:  255.3 KB

Move colour slider to -100%
    Last edited by Enug; 03-05-2019 at 01:33 AM.
    June.

Oh God of homeless things, look down
    And try to ease the way
    Of all the little weary paws
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

http://enug66.deviantart.com/gallery/

[My setup: hp 15in laptop,11th Gen Intel Core i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz 2.70 GHz, 8.00 GB RAM, 24in Acer 2nd monitor, Huion Kamvas 20 Pro display tablet, Windows 11, ArtRage Vitae.
    My painting real-estate is extended across three monitors.]

Thanks very much Enug for your swift reply... this still means that I would have to create the texture somewhere else and then import it, instead of creating the texture on ArtRage itself. Besides that, I do not have a 'filter' option under 'Edit' (see attachment)... in fact I can't find a filter option anywhere! I did import a texture as a layer that I created with Photoshop, but it doesn't really help me. I simply want to be able to drag a dry, loaded brush across a rough underpainting, without loosing the texture of the underpainting, so it looks like I've painted over an old painting and parts of the old painting is showing through, as in the attachment that I posted... any other ideas?

Cheers, Hansi

Name:  Screen Shot 2019-03-04 at 22.37.18.png
Views: 1081
Size:  91.1 KB

Try this:

Duplicate the underpainting
    "Edit texture" for the top layer to have 0 roughness.

Make an dry insta dry oil brush e.g. 20 pressure, thinners 25, loading 5, stiffness 70, and paint on top layer

Adjust brush to taste (e.g. increase stiffness for more interest).
    Last edited by DarkOwnt; 03-05-2019 at 05:10 AM.

Thanks for the info DarkOwnt... I'll try that although I see that I do not have the option to adjust the brush stifness. I'm beginning to feel that I don't have the same version of AR as you guys? Is that possible?

Cheers, Hansi

Oil brush stiffness is in ArtRage 4 and 5, but not in ArtRage Lite or older versions of ArtRage.

You can check which version of ArtRage you're using by going to Help -> About ArtRage assuming you are on Windows or macOS.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact us via our support page at http://www.artrage.com/get-support/ , we should be able to help.